Combine Notebook: Derrick Brown, Isaiah Simmons among dynamic defenders stating their case

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
snxxwh8nvyrknuvag5bi

Do-it-all linebacker?

The question sounds simple enough, but not when directed at Clemson's Isaiah Simmons.

What's your position?

"Defense," Simmons said.

The star of Clemson's defense is generally considered a linebacker, but many view him as a linebacker/safety hybrid. He said he's played as many as five positions in one game, with the Clemson coaches finding ways to take advantage of his unique skill set.

"I think it's really beneficial for me. I know years ago it wasn't good to be a positionless guy. But now it's become a benefit for me just because of all the versatility I'll be able to do, play linebacker, play safety, whatever it is, I feel like it just helps me out," Simmons said.

"I think I can play in any scheme just because of my versatility, I can fit in anywhere. Depending on what position they need me at, I feel I can play it."

Simmons feels he's particularly valuable due to the mismatches tight ends and running backs are creating in the passing game. With defenses looking for an answer, Simmons is confident he can provide it.

"The game is evolving, so something has to be done to stop these Travis Kelces and George Kittles out there," Simmons said. "The game's no longer a 250-pound linebacker. It's more guys that are able to run side to side and are able to cover. It's just a necessity now with the tight ends and running backs."

Simmons isn't the only versatile defensive playmaker in this draft. Wisconsin edge rusher Zack Baun said one team described him as a "toy" with his ability to rush with authority and drop in coverage effectively.

"A do-it-all linebacker," Baun said.

LSU linebacker Patrick Queen would use that label to describe himself, and he knows that's a necessity in the modern-day NFL.

"That's a specialty for me, being able to cover people out of the backfield and cover tight ends. But you have to be able to play the run as well," Queen said. "You can't just have a linebacker that's able to cover, and then when it's time for them to run the ball you can't stop the run. I feel like I can do both."