Comfortable Kyler Murray Patient With His Process

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
uxio4tdeoonl6bwrcvh5

Running back David Johnson said Murray has been “a lot faster and quicker than I thought he was.” He also said he thinks people underestimate Murray’s throwing ability, and Johnson’s eyes lit up when talking about the “dynamic” offense possible with he and Murray in the backfield.

Still, there is much ground to cover between the “what” and the “what if” of this offense. Kirk said the Cardinals won’t know their identity offensively until sometime in training camp. Having a rookie quarterback creates even rougher terrain on that path.

“There are definitely growing pains, timing-wise,” Kirk said. “Every day there’s a new route you are running, a new concept. That’s stuff we have to work through the kinks.”

But, Kirk said, “looking from last year, the only way we can go is up. It’s the truth.”

Benchmarks for Murray’s advancement aren’t necessarily tangible for Kingsbury. The coach just wants ongoing improvement in what will be a daily process.

“It’s never going to stop with what we expect with how his improvement goes, however many years he is here,” Kingsbury said.

Year One has barely just begun.

“For me, there are no limitations,” Murray said. “I’d never do that to myself. But I’m coming it as if it was my senior year (last year in college.) The circumstances are a little different, I’m new to the league, but at the same time, I’m treating it all the same, trying to get up to speed as if I was a freshman. Obviously, there will be some ups and downs, but every time I touch the field I want to win.”

Continue reading...