Cousins, Kubiak & Janocko Comfortable Challenging Each Other

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
sxlwuf083nj0z0scd5by

Reducing sacks with the goal of staying "under 30" and maybe "under 25 or 20" was included in a list of goals the quarterback emailed to Kubiak and Janocko shortly after they were announced to their new roles.

"That's something you don't take for granted, either, being able to send that email," Cousins said of the comfort level he has with Kubiak, his position coach the past two seasons, and Janocko, who is transitioning from an acclaimed single season of coaching Vikings receivers.

While continuity around Cousins is oft-mentioned to offset the fact that he will have his sixth offensive coordinator in as many seasons, it could prove quite important if offseason programs are again affected by COVID-19.

It stretches beyond familiarity into a relationship in which each man can challenge the other to find ways to help the Vikings team improve.

"I think we've got an advantage because we have familiarity, but we certainly can't just rest on that. We certainly know each other, and that's a great thing," Kubiak said. "Between Kirk, Andrew and myself, we all want to bring the best out of each other and challenge the heck out of each other.

"We've already started that process. Kirk personally emailed Andrew and I the things he wants to do better next year and the things that can help us," Kubiak said. "I just don't know how many teams have a quarterback like that who is willing to put in that kind of thought in the offseason. He's just so dedicated to getting better and for the team to get better, so we're really grateful to have that kind of player on our team."

Janocko said the trio will be able to build on its relationship that utilized communications between quarterbacks and receivers last season, including conversations about the ways receivers were running certain types of routes and adjustments.

"I think facilitating communication during the process of the game, what the quarterback is feeling comfortable with based on what we're seeing and then, 'How are we getting the ball into our playmakers' hands? How are we facilitating plays for our skill positions that make them successful, too?' I think Kirk and myself can do that and make it easier on the play caller throughout the course of the game," Janocko said.

Special Guest

VEN's Gabe Henderson hosted the roundtable for the episode that also featured an interview with Peter Schrager.

The "Good Morning Football" co-host checked in from the corner of Union Street and Court Street in Brooklyn, New York, for the segment.

Sitting in front of a wall tagged with graffiti, Schrager said he hasn't had the opportunity to get to know Kubiak personally but is looking forward to seeing the 34-year-old make his mark.