Davante Adams: Frustration about not playing led to deleted tweet

Captain Fear

Mar 20, 2019
GettyImages-1273801431-1-e1602758613704.jpg

Getty Images

In the hours before the Packers played the Falcons on Monday night in Week Four, wide receiver Davante Adams posted and deleted a tweet saying that he would not be playing in the game despite feeling his hamstring was well enough for him to play.

Adams wrote that he’d done “everything I need to do and proved Im ready but I guess I don’t know my body as well as others” in the deleted tweet. On Wednesday, Adams explained why he posted the tweet.

“It’s not too much to read into it to say I was frustrated,” Adams said, via Rob Demovsky of ESPN.com. “Obviously, I’m a competitor. I think everybody knows that. Everybody knows what I’m about and how I play football. I don’t necessarily, obviously, understand what the club’s interest [is] and everything that goes with it. But being a competitor, like I said, and me being who I am and how I’m wired, even if I’m not 100 percent, which I said obviously at that point I felt great to play. But even if I’m not 100 percent, I mean, I’ve played few football games feeling 100 percent. So at the end of the day, a lot of that factored into the decision.”

Adams didn’t apologize for the feelings, but said taking the tweet down was the “best thing” because it eliminated a potential distraction for the team heading into the game.

It doesn’t look like there will be a need for another tweet before the Packers face the Buccaneers this Sunday. Adams was a full participant in practice on Wednesday and more of the same over the next two days should mean he plays for the first time since Week Two.