Davante Adams takes coaching, leadership to heart

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
wc9psz6xzbfyw9bz3grs

Adams’ approach has multiple motivations behind it.

Obviously, he’s pushing to maintain if not exceed the success he had in what now stands as his career year. With 111 catches for 1,386 yards last season, Adams came one catch and 135 yards shy of Jordy Nelson’s single-season franchise records. His 13 touchdowns were also a professional best.

But Adams also takes his leadership role amongst a large group of young receivers very seriously. The overall success of the group in 2019 will be defined as much, if not more so, by how far developing players like Marquez Valdes-Scantling, Equanimeous St. Brown, J’Mon Moore and others come along.

That’s why he’ll welcome anything LaFleur wants to communicate and immediately apply it. The younger receivers, a group that also includes Jake Kumerow, Allen Lazard and even the more experienced Geronimo Allison and Trevor Davis, will then see it immediately and hear about the head coach’s instructions in more detail later on.

“Obviously the young guys watch the way I do things and they want to emulate that, so if I’m doing it wrong and they let it slide just because of who I am or my years or whatever you want to say, and they go out and do the same thing and it’s not right, I feel like that’s not right,” Adams said. “I do whatever I can to be open with him so he can be open with me and feel like he can coach me up at any point.”

It’s a role and perspective LaFleur greatly appreciates. Adams himself called the offense “complex,” but LaFleur is emphasizing this is the time of year to “dig into the details,” which is just another area where leaders need to lead.