Davante Adams turns in another career day for Packers in Houston

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
c95hefoazwgw7a9xch1z

Davante Adams didn't want to jinx anything, but the Packers' Pro Bowl receiver couldn't help but notice the single coverage he was facing for a majority of Sunday afternoon in Houston.

Whatever the reasons were for how the Texans deployed their safeties, Adams happily went to work against a Houston secondary playing without top cornerback Bradley Roby.

The end result was yet another career day for Adams, who caught 13 passes for 196 yards and two touchdowns to spark Green Bay's offense in a 35-20 victory at NRG Stadium.

"Part of me just wanted to keep it out; I didn't even want to speak that up into the universe," Adams said of Houston's coverage scheme. "I enjoy my one-on-ones. Those are fun over there. So anytime I can get 'em I'm-a try to make sure we execute and we're on top of it."

Quarterback Aaron Rodgers caught wind of the Texans' strategy early. He threw three passes to Adams on the opening drive alone, including a 3-yard touchdown to extend Green Bay's streak of scoring on its opening possession to six games.

It wasn't until the end of the first quarter, however, when Rodgers and Adams began to feel like they were in for a special day. Facing third-and-9 at their own 23, Rodgers rocketed a 50/50 ball to the sideline that Adams caught for a 28-yard gain against cornerback Vernon Hargreaves' tight coverage.