De'Vondre Campbell's Enthusiasm Not Dampened By Bumpy Offseason

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
cmliyclfqozbrzpiu2ma

Campbell had a career year in traditional categories in 2019 – setting personal bests in tackles (129), interceptions (2), forced fumbles (3) and tackles for loss (6) – and Joseph thought he would be priced out of the team's range in free agency.

Instead, the Cardinals nabbed him during the second wave, adding an athletic off-ball coverage linebacker to a position group that sorely lacked that skillset in 2019.

With Simmons now in the fold, too, the Cardinals have a pair of favorable options when they face elusive pass-catching running backs and tight ends.

"I still honestly believe I can cover any tight end in the league," Campbell said. "It's professional football, so of course this is the best of the best, but I'm very confident in my abilities."

While outsiders are trying to fit the defensive puzzle pieces together for the Cardinals, Campbell praised the clear plan laid out to him by Joseph and linebackers coach Bill Davis.

"I've been in situations before where you just don't know what to expect," Campebll said. "This is not one of those situations."

Campbell is getting to know his teammates virtually, and it may take time for him to ascend to a leadership role, but when it happens, the self-described introvert will happily accept.

"I don't talk much, but when I do, it's pretty important," Campbell said. "I'm a very thoughtful person. I don't just say stuff to say it. If I speak up, it's something I've seen several times and I've thought about it."

Campbell takes team harmony seriously, which makes his praise for Simmons that much more logical.

He pointed to tangible proof of its effects, harkening back to his march to the Super Bowl as a rookie with the Falcons in 2016.

"I've been on teams where nobody is really cool with each other," Campbell said. "We all have a job to do and that's it. It's just a job. But that year, it was special because you had guys from different backgrounds, different upbringings, clicking together. We were going on bowling trips like once a week. We were doing stuff as a group, and it built our chemistry up that much more.

"And that's really what it takes, having overall team chemistry. In all football games, there comes a point when things get really hard and really tough. You look at the man next to you, and if you have that great relationship with him, you're more willing to leave it all on the field."

Continue reading...