DeAndre Hopkins' Missed Practice Time Not A Concern

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
s49m9the6wjd573siwmu

CARDINALS PUT ON THE PADS

For the first time since the end of the 2019 season, the players were allowed to put on pads and make full contact with each other. Kingsbury made sure the action didn't go overboard by instituting tackling guidelines beforehand, but noticed an uptick in intensity and chippiness.

"I think that's to be expected," Kingsbury said. "The guys have been waiting for this day for a long time, and wanted to go out there and impress their teammates and their coaches. There was some definite physical battles out there, which we knew there would be. We just have to learn how to practice together day in and day out, maximize who we are as teammates and keep growing."

Running back Kenyan Drake said the players "love" the physicality of football and enjoyed the practice.

"We'd been doing 7-on-7s and skeletons, all of that, for long enough," Drake said. "Now, obviously we're going to take care of each other on the field from a practice standpoint, but everybody was flying around. There was a lot of physicality out there, which I like, and a little chippiness. Everybody has been kind of sitting around with their loved ones – family members, girlfriends, wives – for six, seven months. Now we can go out there and play ball again, so I feel like everybody is using that energy really well."

KINGSBURY, LEACH FROM SAME TREE BUT MUCH DIFFERENT BRANCHES

Safety Jalen Thompson has experience playing for two of the most famous coaches of the Air Raid offensive philosophy – Mike Leach at Washington State and now Kingsbury.

Kingsbury played under Leach at Texas Tech and uses some of the same concepts, but while their offenses are similar, Thompson said their personalities are not.

"Coach Kliff is more of the cool, laid back coach, more of a players' coach," Thompson said. "Leach was more of a weird guy. They're a lot different."

Thompson remembers one of his first interactions with Leach in college.

"He's real big on pirates," Thompson said. "I remember the first time I came to Wazzu, I walked into his office. We were just talking at first, and I look over to the right, and it's a big pirate skeleton in his office. It was weird. I was like, 'Why do you have this.' He's like, 'Oh, I love pirates.' He has books on them and a whole bunch of other stuff."

Continue reading...