Dennis Gardeck Comfortable But Not Satisfied

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
jspnoby5clj8fcks6tkc

Gardeck appreciates the praise, but it’s not going to his head. While some players take their spot in the NFL for granted, his journey here keeps everything in perspective.

“My redshirt year (at West Virginia State), I was the film guy for us,” Gardeck said. “I’d help set up bags for the coaches. Game day I would film the wide shot, and at halftime I was responsible for the drinks and snacks. I still remember what that felt like, not being out on the field.”

Gardeck still takes special teams seriously, calling it his “bread and butter.” He had eight special teams tackles last season and recovered a blocked punt for a touchdown in the season finale against the Seahawks.

But he’d love to get on the field defensively and will do everything in his power to be an option.

“I’m just trying to take every opportunity to learn,” Gardeck said. “Inside and outside (linebackers) are in the same meeting room, so instead of tuning out when he’s talking about outside ‘backers, I stay locked in and try to hear what they are coaching up on the outside, so if an injury does happen, shoot, I can pop in there.”

The Cardinals could have added more depth at inside linebacker this offseason but instead were satisfied with the internal options. Hicks and Haason Reddick are the projected starters, but Gardeck has positioned himself as a viable choice in subpackages or if an injury hits.

Gardeck was an inspirational story last season, going from unknown to the active roster. Now the coaches are expecting more.

“It adds a little bit of heat,” Gardeck said. “I’ve always kind of been the underdog, kind of flown under the radar. Now I’m starting to get on people’s radar. That’s the next rung. Now that I’m on the radar, I have to stay on the radar.”

Continue reading...