Derrick Brown bringing lessons from Auburn position coach to NFL

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
urxja2xbint7igxyjpts

"I think that's something that's missing in today's society. When you walk into a dining hall and you see Derrick Brown with just a bunch of walk-ons — not star players, these guys are just walk-ons — and they're having a great time, they're loving him," Garner said. "He didn't just hang out with the good players, but he hung out with the walk-ons, the scout-teamers, the student-managers, the student-trainers, the interns that worked in recruiting. He just has the ability to just affect others in a positive way."

Part of that is the message Garner preaches inside the D-Line room day after day: Be a pro long before you become a pro.

"What I mean by that is, I want them to carry themselves like a pro and know what's expected of them as a pro," Garner said. "So when they become a pro, it won't be foreign to them and they'll have the ability to have some sustaining power."

That message resonated, as Brown cited it verbatim as one of the two most important lessons from Garner he'll bring to the league.

"That was whether it was on the football field, out in the world — no matter what it was," Brown said. "If you come to work every day with that attitude, then you'll be OK. And number two would be, don't ever stop. Don't quit. Just keep always working to get better and better because you're going to eventually get it."