Despite "impressive" finish, earlier turnovers cost Kyle Allen, Panthers

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
qpzdunpe8pxj8lr5txny

On Carolina’s next drive, Allen went four-of-five for 60 yards before McCaffrey scored on a 3-yard run. That brought the Panthers to within 8, a deficit that remained when they gambled and lost on the ensuing 2-point conversion attempt.

But Allen and the Panthers still wouldn’t go away. As snow fell harder, they got the ball back at their 11-yard line with 2:25 to play. Facing an onslaught of Packers’ pressure, Allen completed eight of 14 passes for 74 yards, including a 12-yard connection to DJ Moore on a fourth-and-10. But Allen’s next three throws fell incomplete before McCaffrey’s final run fell inches short of the goal line.

It was part thrilling, part disappointing. It was impossible not to be at least somewhat impressed by Allen, who finished with a career-best 307 yards.

“I’ve played with a lot of good quarterbacks and that’s about as good as a performance considering the circumstances that I’ve ever played with,” Olsen said. “What he did against that defense with that front pinning their ears back knowing we had to throw the ball. We all saw the conditions and the weather, down 14 in the fourth quarter. To lead us down the field was pretty incredible.

“I thought what he did tonight overall, and of course, that fourth quarter was as impressive a quarterback display I’ve ever seen.”

Added Rivera:

“I thought he did the things we needed him to do to give us a chance at the end, at least. He’s continuing to grow. Let’s not forget, this is pretty much like a rookie (year) for him. … I love his mental toughness. The young man’s going to go out there and we’re going to learn and we’re going to grow with him. The young man’s done a terrific job, and unfortunately, we had a couple bad things happen.

The Panthers fought through some questionable calls and nearly pulled off a wild rally, but those “couple bad things” were ultimately the difference. If Allen can learn to clean those up, moral victories could someday turn into something more.

“The more starts I get under my belt, the more experience I have. The more mistakes I make, the more I learn from them. But at the same time, I know I’m a young guy, but I’m the quarterback of this team. I can’t be doing that,” Allen said.

“This is a very talented team, and when we play clean football, we can win a lot of games. It doesn’t matter what age I am; it doesn’t matter how many starts I have. I have to play clean football, or else it’s not fair to this team.”