Dexter Williams feels Green Bay is ‘the perfect place’

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
min0jeaody5tlloxjt5c

He played as a true freshman at Notre Dame but had to wait three full seasons to start in the Irish backfield. Once he got that chance, Williams didn’t disappoint. He rushed for at least 100 yards in four of his nine games as a senior, including a 178-yard, three-TD performance against Virginia Tech on Oct. 6.

In that game, Williams established a new Lane Stadium record when he broke free for a 97-yard touchdown against the Hokies in the third quarter of an eventual 45-23 Irish victory. It was the second longest in Notre Dame history to only Josh Adams’ 98-yarder in 2015.

Williams said he spoke with Green Bay at the Senior Bowl and NFL Scouting Combine. While the Packers went radio silent leading up to the draft, they finally called midway through Day 3 to let Williams know he was their guy.

“I feel like it was meant to be. I feel like this is the perfect place for me,” Williams said. “Offense-wise, it’s similar to what we were running in the Senior Bowl, so a lot of things I’m comfortable with. I’m still learning, still going over a lot of the plays with my running back coach and taking time with the other running backs to go over the plays with them.”

After a college career with its share of peaks and valleys, Williams says he won’t take this opportunity for granted. He wants to earn respect – from both his teammates and coaches.

“It definitely makes me appreciate everything,” said Williams of his journey. “I didn’t know all of this was going to happen. If you asked me a couple years ago, would Dexter be here at the Green Bay Packers? I probably wouldn’t have even answered your question. But to see how everything unfolds and to see all the hard work pay off … I’m just so blessed to be here.”