Eric Wilson: Seeing Clearly Now

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
uxhzw3g9frr8wtv5ozjm

Eric Kendricks took over in that game, but coaches shifted the responsibility to Wilson in Week 3.

Wilson's prior experience of learning all three linebacker positions has "definitely helped" his transition to the role.

"Knowing the little intricacies of the defense, and even if we have new guys in there, knowing what they should be doing and being able to relay that information to them so we're all on the same page on defense," Wilson said.

"It might be a little hectic sometimes, but when you have the headset, you have to be the one that's able to communicate to everybody and in a way where everybody can hear you and use that information," Wilson added. "You definitely have to be poised. You can't overreact or be too calm. If you're too calm and just trying to say the call like some guys do, they're focused on their responsibility, so they might not hear you.

"You have to find that balance in telling them the call, not yelling and keeping your cool without saying the call too quietly," he continued. "And you definitely have to know how to diagnose certain calls, too. I think for me, it's definitely allowed me to develop my understanding of the defense more, understanding the play calls, when we're going to call certain things in certain parts of the field."

He's welcomed the opportunity to start and build on the trust he's earned. Coaches' faith in him shows in the way they've added to his responsibilities since Barr's injury.

"I love that I'm starting now," Wilson said. "I guess the coaches have more trust in me and the guys know how I play, and we all can feed off that energy. … It's great to go out there and be able to play three downs. I love playing ball and I love the different intricacies of the game. Sometimes teams go three tight ends, two tight ends, one tight end, whatever, or two running backs and no tight ends. I think I match up well against it all, so it's nice to be able to do that."

Wilson recorded his second interception last week at Seattle, when he picked off a pass that Russell Wilson intended for running back Chris Carson. Earlier in the game, he notched his second sack of the season.

"I knew he was close to out of bounds, and Russell was probably going to scramble, so I pushed [Carson] out of bounds, got my head back around and [Kendricks], I think, got some pressure on [Russell Wilson] and I just see the ball and I went up and made a play on it."

Zimmer said Wilson has "done a nice job" and is "starting to play a little bit more free and relaxed."

"He's a good athlete, really smart guy, tough and physical," Zimmer said. "He had some mistakes [against Seattle], as well, but the interception he made was a terrific interception. He had a nice sack earlier in the game. He's continuing to get better, just got to keep pushing him in the right direction."