Eric Wilson Shouldering More Responsibility with Anthony Barr Out

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
rityytbulfclwi1yviqk

"He's very good at a lot of things. In college he played a lot on the line of scrimmage and sometimes he goes on the line of scrimmage [here]. He causes havoc and gets QB pressures and sacks," Wilson said. "And he can also do it from off the line of scrimmage, and he calls the plays for our defense, too. So we've got to make adjustments there. He does a lot of different things."

Barr won't be making in-game calls for the remainder of the season, but his know-how will continue to guide Wilson as he shoulders extra responsibilities.

"I've definitely learned a lot from him throughout my whole career," Wilson said. "He's definitely still going to be coaching us and giving us whatever knowledge that he has that we can apply in any situation possible. So even though he's not on the field, he's still going to be there with us, helping us."

The Vikings may be shorthanded at linebacker, but they refuse to make excuses.

After a rough 0-2 start to the season, Wilson emphasized that it's the duty of each and every player to step up and help right the ship.

"[We] might have to play less-experienced guys, but we all have to be ready to go, be ready to play and be ready to do our job at the highest level possible," Wilson said.

It's no secret that Barr and Kendricks, who roomed and teamed together at UCLA before reuniting in Minnesota in 2015, have a unique chemistry between them. But Wilson also has built a strong rapport with the linebacker duo both on and off the field. From film breakdown and communication before and after practice, to (pre-pandemic) offseason travel, they've become extremely close.

Kendricks and Wilson don't just share a first name; mentally, they're usually on the same page. And that will bode well for them come game day.

"Our communication is really [good]. I think through whatever has happened, we both have that experience of calling the defense and knowing the adjustments," Wilson said. "Just having two guys that can do that really well is very helpful for our defense. I think that is very important for people to be able to communicate regardless of the situation.

"Me and EK get along really well," he added.

Wilson and Kendricks will face a big test (literally) on Sunday in Titans running back Derrick Henry.

At 6-foot-3 and 247 pounds, Henry is larger than both Wilson (6-1, 230) and Kendricks (6-0, 232).