ESPN analyst thinks Kmet in position to excel

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
gmdvpkn4ec6gttf5wy8n

ESPN analyst Matt Bowen believes that Bears second-round draft pick Cole Kmet, a tight end from Notre Dame, has an excellent chance to thrive as a rookie.

Bowen included Kmet in a list of 10 draft picks who landed in schemes that will allow NFL teams to maximize their ability.

"The Bears added veteran Jimmy Graham in free agency, but Kmet gives Matt Nagy's offense a true inline tight end with the pass-catching skills to fit in his system," Bowen wrote. "In addition to giving Chicago an extra gap in the run game as a blocker, Kmet can stretch the seams, run crossers/pops off play-action and RPOs, while also seeing the ball on inside sit routes to move the chains.

"With a 6-foot-6, 262-pound frame and 4.7 40 speed, Kmet can rumble after the catch. I like what I see on tape there. The Bears already had an overcrowded tight end room, but I see Kmet as an instant contributor as a rookie because of his pro-style traits. They didn't have a single tight end gain 100 yards last season, but that's going to change in 2020."