Five things learned at the NFL Annual Meetings – Day 1

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
wr4okhiumyapw3ncahvw

2. Tramon Williams’ days at cornerback may not be over

Injuries and the in-season trade of Ha Ha Clinton-Dix resulted in Williams starting the final nine games of the season at safety in Mike Pettine’s defense.

That wasn’t what the Packers intended when they re-signed the veteran defensive back last March, but Williams’ versatility became a necessity after Clinton-Dix’s departure, and Kentrell Brice, Raven Greene and Ibraheim Campbell wound up on injured reserve.

Although the Packers won’t completely rule out Williams possibly playing on the back end again, they also aren’t changing his primary job description yet.

“I think naturally Tramon is more of a corner, but he can do it all,” Gutekunst said. “He’s such an unselfish player and such a pro that I think he’ll (go) wherever he fits in or whatever makes the team best. I think naturally he’s more of a corner.”

3. The Packers still expect big things out of Jimmy Graham

The Packers haven’t backed off their big plans for Graham, who had 55 catches for 636 yards and two touchdowns in his first season in Green Bay.

The five-time Pro Bowl tight end played in all 16 games, but battled a season-long knee injury and a broken thumb he suffered in Seattle on Nov. 15.

Gutekunst reiterated the organization’s commitment to Graham at last month’s NFL Scouting Combine in Indianapolis and praised the 32-year-old tight end Monday for his contributions, particularly as a blocker.

“I’ve heard the comments of him not being a blocker, if you really go back and look at the tape he did a nice job as a blocker for us last year, much more than people would understand unless you watch the tape,” Gutekunst said. “Obviously Jimmy, he’s a Hall of Fame-type talent. He probably didn’t have the year he was quite expecting last year, but he still was a pretty productive player for us…I thought he was really good for our locker room and I expect big things from him this year.”

One other veteran tight end factoring into the Packers’ plans for 2019 is Marcedes Lewis, who re-signed with the team last week. The former Pro Bowler had only three catches last season, but Gutekunst believes Lewis is the kind of blocking tight end who should thrive in Head Coach Matt LaFleur’s offense.

“Obviously, Marcedes continues to be one of the better blocking tight ends in the league,” Gutekunst said. “He was such a really good fit in our locker room last year, brought a lot of leadership for a player coming from the outside, thought he did a really good job of that. Probably didn’t have the opportunities he wanted last season, but I think Matt, in his offense, the blocking tight end is a very important role, and I think Marcedes can fill that.”