Football comes full circle for DeShone Kizer, Manny Wilkins

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
yzhbpmti22rfdrg4fgyz

Heralded for his pro-ready build and strong arm coming out of Notre Dame, Kizer started camp with a bang Friday when he led St. Brown perfectly on a 71-yard touchdown that traveled more than 60 yards in the air during an early team period.

It’s those types of on-the-money passing plays Kizer has been trying to hone during his brief NFL career. After a full offseason in new Head Coach Matt LaFleur’s system, Kizer says he’s confident in both his abilities and what’s being asked of him.

“He’s been in a couple systems now, and I think that once again him just continually understanding the system is the first battle he’s got to fight,” offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett said.

“When you see him out there, when he’s relaxed, playing tall and just executing the play, it’s good. Whenever there’s some indecision at times, it gets a little crazy, and I think it’s just about trying to limit that and get him more comfortable within the system.”

Wilkins is on the other side of the spectrum right now as the presumptive No. 4 quarterback behind Rodgers, Kizer and Tim Boyle, who was on the Packers’ active roster all of last season.

A personal matter held Boyle out of practice Saturday, affording Wilkins a handful of team reps a fourth-string quarterback wouldn’t often see in July. Asked about Wilkins’ workload after practice, LaFleur made note of how the rookie has earned those opportunities with how he’s played early on.

“Going out there and being around ‘12,’ Tim, DeShone, I don’t feel threatened by it,” said Wilkins, a three-year starter at ASU. “I’m not out here trying to be no rookie. I’m out here trying to make the best out of every opportunity.

“I feel like I know everything but I feel in order to be your best, you have to be relaxed, comfortable and feeling like you’re in your element. That’s what puts me in my element.”

The close quarters have only strengthened the bond between Kizer and Wilkins. A music aficionado, Wilkins even pulled in Kizer to produce a little music together before camp began.