For Zaire Franklin, Creed Is A Friend Indeed

Blue

Mar 19, 2019
jdcwnvirjuoddiejqvh6

Growing up in Philadelphia, Colts linebacker Zaire Franklin had an appreciation for animals.

“I had a cat and we thought it was a girl, so my grandma named her Sassy. And then we took her to the vet and we found out he was a dude.”

Sassy became Sam. And the more time Franklin spent with him, the more he identified with him.

“I actually love cats because I like their independence. They’re kind of like me where they don’t necessarily feel like they need you. They can do their own thing, but when they want love - they get love.”

Still, he always saw himself as a dog person.

“I don’t feel like a cat is really your friend. A cat is kind of like a roommate - they live there and sometimes you might watch TV together, but most of the time they’re just there to do their own thing,” he said. “I always thought it would be cool to have a dog. That’s a real friend.”

His college years only reinforced that notion.

“The weather in Syracuse is really terrible. So when it finally broke in the spring, everyone on my team got a puppy. Everybody would be walking through the Quad with their little puppies.”

As much as he wanted a puppy himself, he knew he had to be ready for the responsibility that came with it.

“I’ve been plotting - looking for the right time to get a dog,” he said.

After wrapping up his rookie season with the Colts, he was ready. All he had to do was find the right dog.

“I always wanted an English Bulldog because I feel like their personality matches mine. All I like to do is eat and sleep.”

In March, the stars aligned.

While training in Seattle, one of the trainers had an English Bulldog puppy.

“I was like, ‘Where did you get this dog? This dog is beautiful.’”

He introduced him to the breeder and the rest is history.