Frank Reich: Colts Will Continue To Lean On Jacoby Brissett

Blue

Mar 19, 2019
org1hsbr9hm8d4pozukw

INDIANAPOLIS — Frank Reich didn't want Jacoby Brissett to be caught off-guard.

So when it became apparent a couple weeks back that the Indianapolis Colts were moving forward in their negotiations to bring in another quarterback, Philip Rivers, in free agency, Reich gave Brissett a call.

Brissett, Reich told reporters this week, was understandably disappointed to hear the news that he was going to be transitioning into a backup role. But as Reich knows first-hand — both from his own playing career and now as an NFL coach — the backup quarterback position, with the right guy in place, remains one of the more critical spots on the roster.

And so now, as the Colts move forward with Rivers leading the offense, Reich expects Brissett to remain a key leader and contributor moving forward.

"This was unique opportunity, so when the time was right I called Jacoby and told him, 'Hey, this looks like it may happen,'" Reich told reporters on Tuesday in a video conference call. "We talked it through. Obviously Jacoby wasn't happy about it. He wasn't happy about it, but he's a great teammate, he's a great leader. We all know that and I'm sure he'll be good."

Brissett performed admirably for the Colts under extremely tough circumstances in 2019, particularly in the first half of the season. Immediately stepping in for Andrew Luck, who retired from the NFL with two weeks to go before the start of the regular season, Brissett helped lead the team to a 5-2 start, highlighted by a Week 5 road victory over the eventual Super Bowl champion Kansas City Chiefs on Sunday Night Football.

When all was said and done, Brissett, who missed one start due to a knee injury, completed 272-of-447 passes (60.9 percent) for 2,942 yards, had 56 rushing attempts for 228 yards and another four scores on the ground, and was among the league's best at protecting the football, as evidenced by his 18-to-6 touchdown-to-interception ratio. He was also selected as a Pro Bowl alternate for the first time in his career.

But for a multitude of reasons, the Colts' passing attack just wasn't able to keep up the pace over the second half of the season. After starting the year with 14 touchdown passes in Indy's first six games, Brissett would throw just four more scores the rest of the way, and coupled with a rash of injuries to some key receivers, the Colts would finish the season ranked 30th in the NFL in passing yards per game (194.2), tied for 30th in passing plays of 20-plus yards (38) and 29th in completion percentage (59.8).

As a team, the Colts finished the year with just two wins over their final nine games and were eliminated from postseason contention by Week 16.

"I think as a whole, our passing game – not just the quarterback position – but our passing game has to improve," Colts general manager Chris Ballard said Jan. 2 in his end-of-season press conference. "Unequivocally, that has to get better. We have to be able to throw the football to win in this league. I think we all know that."