From Air Raid To Run Raid: Cardinals Unexpectedly Dominating On Ground

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
pi9agzkfjctdeumw7roc

Kingsbury designs the Cardinals’ passing game but defers to Sean Kugler for the rushing plays. The two didn’t meet until Kugler interviewed to be the offensive line coach this offseason, but Kingsbury was excited to make the hire and the chemistry blossomed early on.

“I had heard great things (prior to the interview),” Kingsbury said. “I actually coached against him when he was at UTEP. Everybody that I had ever spoke to said he was phenomenal. (Washington quarterback) Case Keenum was in Denver last year, and I talked to him about his experience with him. I knew he was a great technician offensive line coach, but just the stuff he does schematically week to week, the in-game adjustments, has been phenomenal and really helped me and kind of expanded my horizons as a football coach.”

Murray is a big part of the rushing attack, averaging 6.0 yards per carry. Some of that yardage comes on designed runs, some on scrambles. Even when he’s not carrying the ball, Murray helps neutralize defenders by faking a keep on zone-read looks.

Kenyan Drake has been at the forefront at running back since joining the team via midseason trade, carrying the ball 111 times for 583 yards – 5.25 yards per carry -- and seven touchdowns in seven games.

“Kenyan is really giving us a boost there,” Kingsbury said. “He’s shown explosiveness on some of those long runs that have obviously helped us.”

The Cardinals have one of the more dressed-up running attacks in the league, with plenty of deception built in, and the passing game aids it by using similar formations and concepts.

While that part may be pretty, the running game wouldn’t be effective without some brute strength to pave holes, and that’s also been impressive.

“Guys are playing at a physical level on the perimeter, up front, and it’s paying off,” Kingsbury said.

A reputation for airing it out preceded Kingsbury, and maybe in an ideal world, he’d still want Murray to throw the ball more. But the personnel dictated an emphasis on running the ball in 2019, and players like Shipley appreciate that Kingsbury proved willing to adjust.

“He’s never acted like he knows everything,” Shipley said. “He’s figuring this thing out just like us, and that’s what makes him such a great coach. He’s been unbelievable for us this year, being able to adapt from college to this game. That took a special thing in itself, and to be able to adapt to himself over the course of 16 weeks, it’s been pretty awesome to watch.”

Continue reading...