Getting Open: Alexander Mattison Raising Awareness for Suicide Prevention

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
xcomug1x7psxrmgqxwie

Alex over the years has integrated small lifestyle changes that help support mental health, from practicing yoga to getting a good amount of sunlight and fueling his body with nutritious foods.

He's also relied on his faith.

When Alex found himself knocked down over and over again, he reminded himself to "let go and let God" amidst difficult circumstances.

"I have a strong faith in God and His plan for me, and that's kind of where I just handed Him the baton and cast all my burdens onto Him, and everything started to work out for me," he said.

Whether faith, family, friends or all of the above, a support system is crucial.

"My mom and dad, my brothers, and then my aunt and uncle and my cousins – we're just a really tight-knit family," Alex said. "Whatever it is that anyone in our family wants to do, we're 110 percent in and super supportive of each other. And I think that really goes a long way in mental health.

"For me, I was really at a point where I was hiding, you know? You live in that lifestyle, that stigma, where I was kind of just holding in my emotions, where no one really [knew] what was going on," he continued. "[But I] know I have that support system back home, and some people don't have that. I encourage people to support your loved ones, support your family, support your friends. Whatever it is that they're going through, you might not even know it because they might not wear it on their sleeve like some people do. They might hide it inside, which a lot of people do. So always be that support system."