Getting Open: Paul Allen Explains Lasting Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
tnvg4upurzvdb2sxpxf8

Paul Allen has always been a pretty open guy.

The "Voice of the Vikings" is a well-known presence in the Twin Cities and beyond. His voice has been synonymous with games on the Vikings Radio Network for two decades. Allen has called horse races at Canterbury Park for longer and continues to host his 9 to Noon radio show on KFAN.

And although he's a public-facing figure with quite a large platform, he's never shied away from being himself, from being vulnerable. That's not always the case, he recognizes, especially among men.

"I guess I would be classified as an emotional man, where I'm open," Allen said. "I've failed a lot and I guess, professionally, I've succeeded to a certain level. Through all of that, I just know through the people I've met – specifically, men – that when there are problems, or when somebody's hurting, they will internalize."

He noted that some people may look at his professional accomplishments and experiences and assume, "He has it all figured out. [His life is] fantastic." It's important to look beneath the surface, though.

"It is [wonderful]. But along the way, there's been a lot of turmoil, and there's been a lot of pain," Allen said. "I've been a man who, I'm not afraid to open up, and I'm not afraid to talk about things that are hurting me. And it has benefited me all of my life.

"I'd say over the past couple of years, I just became more at peace and more comfortable with who I am as a person – more than 'PA' – and everything that goes into it," Allen later added. "I'm a pretty black-and-white individual, there's not much gray area with me, and sometimes that can be to a fault. Because you can overshare – whether it's about me or trying to help somebody – and not everybody's used to that. Specifically, men. It can get a little awkward, but by faith, I know the way I'm doing it is the right way to live."