Going Between Lines as ESPN's Kiper Explains 2nd Mock

Viktor

Mar 19, 2019
i1sruk8zajrkam16g31h

Across the line?

While some believe offensive line will be the position the Vikings boost with a first-round pick, others are projecting that Minnesota will bolster its defensive line.

Kiper, who has 14 total defensive players going in the first round of his current mock, was asked about potential fits for a defensive end to join the 49ers and thrive with a Wide 9 technique.

There again are indirect nuggets that could apply to the Vikings.

"This year, in terms of the first round, it's not going to be that type of player in that type of spot. There's just nobody to consider that high, in terms of the first round, in terms of athletic value," Kiper said. "I don't have a defensive player going until 10. I don't have a defensive lineman going until you get down to 21."

After Surtain at 10, Kiper has the following defensive players:

12. Micah Parsons, LB, Penn State to Detroit (after a trade that allowed San Francisco to move up to No. 7 and draft Ohio State QB Justin Fields)

15. Caleb Farley, CB, Virginia Tech to Denver (after a trade that allowed New England to move up to No. 9 and draft North Dakota State QB Trey Lance)

16. Jaycee Horn, CB, South Carolina to Arizona

17. Trevon Moehrig, S, TCU to Las Vegas

18. Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame to Miami

21. Gregory Rousseau, DE, Miami to Indianapolis

22. Jaelan Phillips, DE, Miami to Tennessee

23. Kwity Paye, DE, Michigan to the New York Jets via a past trade with Seattle

25. Christian Barmore, DT, Alabama to Jacksonville via a past trade with the Los Angeles Rams

26. Zaven Collins, OLB/DE, Tulsa to Cleveland

28. Jayson Oweh, DE, Penn State to New Orleans

29. Joe Tryon, OLB/DE, Washington to Green Bay

32. Azeez Ojulari, OLB/DE, Georgia to Tampa Bay

"Rousseau can play outside and can play inside," Kiper continued in his response to the question about the 49ers. "He was pretty effective inside. That's where he was able to do a really good job at Miami two years ago. Phillips is an outside guy, so Phillips could be that guy. Kwity Paye could be that guy, but that's too early when you're talking about the 12th pick in the draft. Now, if you trade down a little from 12th, you could. I think 12 is way too high."