Gundy thinks Jenkins may be best tackle in draft

Staley Da Bear

Mar 16, 2019
pbagnefpqfp16ypxknwj

If that transpires, Jenkins no doubt would be considered the steal of the 2021 draft. Projected by most NFL analysts as a first-round pick, he remained on the board until the Bears traded up to take him at No. 39 in the second round. Six offensive linemen were selected ahead of the 6-6, 320-pounder.

When Jenkins first enrolled at Oklahoma State in 2016, he possessed impressive traits. But Gundy saw a much different player over the last season and a half.

"He has phenomenal athleticism, strength, he's highly intelligent, and he's just started to really get into football over the last 18 months," Gundy said.

"Now I know that sounds funny, but when you're as gifted and talented as he is, you can get by being a good college football player without having that grit and toughness like he's developed over the last 18 months. So he really brought that to our program just recently."

Listening to Gundy, it sounds like Jenkins had no idea how high his ceiling was.

"I used to joke with Teven when we were in the weight room," Gundy said. "There'd be 60 or 80 players in there and I would say, 'Teven, there's one guy in this room that could be worth $30 or $40 million dollars someday. Do you know who that is?' He would say 'no,' and I would say, 'It's you, Teven. That's who it could be.'

"He had such a laid-back personality, and I don't think he ever saw himself being that good of a football player. That's why I'm saying within the next couple years, the NFL is going to be really shocked at what you have. Because when we asked him and challenged him to be as good as he can be and dominate a player, we had a lot of success with him on those days."