Haason Reddick Captures NFC Defensive Player Of The Week

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
zi1op4nladww5rqdq50h

In what might be the least surprising award a Cardinal has ever won, Haason Reddick was named the NFC Defensive Player of the Week Wednesday morning after his five-sack game in New York.

Reddick set the franchise record for sacks in a game, beating Curtis Greer's 4½ mark from a game in 1983. He was the first NFL player to have that many sacks in a game since Atlanta's Adrian Clayborn had six in a game in 2017.

He also forced three fumbles, becoming the first player to have five sacks and three forced fumbles in a game since Green Bay's Vonnie Holliday did in in 2002.

"The energy from the team, from the coaches, it was crazy out there," Reddick said. "After I got my first one, the second one, they just kept telling me, 'Keep going, keep going' and the energy was amazing. It was a mixture of that, and just the want-to.

"I worked with (outside linebackers coach) Charlie (Bullen) and Buck (defensive line coach Brentson Buckner), our game plan to make my pass rushes work evidently worked."

The Cardinals have won a Player of the Week award five times this season. Quarterback Kyler Murray has won the NFC's Offensive Player of the Week nod twice for his games Week 5 against the Jets and Week 7 against the Seahawks, as well as wide receiver DeAndre Hopkins (Week 10 against the Bills). Safety Budda Baker won defensive honors in Week 6 for his game against the Cowboys.

It is Reddick's first Player of the Week award. The Cardinals won three Defensive Player of the Week awards last season -- two by Chandler Jones, and one from cornerback Patrick Peterson.

Continue reading...