How DL McTelvin Agim fits in Denver's defense

Miles

Mar 18, 2019
ie61x4afqnnzzhmkekef

Agim's greatest attribute, at least in college, was his pass-rushing ability. He recorded 14.5 sacks during his four-year career as an Arkansas starter, but 9.5 of those quarterback takedowns came in his final two seasons. He posted 8.5 tackles for loss and five sacks in his last season in Fayetteville.

Agim also forced six fumbles during his career and added 140 tackles and 31 tackles for loss.

"I feel like just getting off the ball and working my hands, being able to make moves and adjust in pass-rush, being able to hold the block, I feel like I did that pretty well," Agim said. "The thing I feel like I have to improve on the most is just being more consistent because I've been able to do everything, but I need to make sure I can do it all on a consistent basis."

If he can find a way to be more consistent, the former SEC All-freshman player could find a way to make an impact. At 6-foot-3, 309 pounds, he has the frame to succeed — and as a former team captain, he seems to have the right mentality, as well.

He'll need to cut down on penalties, as he had multiple offsides called against him last season, but in a rotational role, it's possible Agim can make a decent Year 1 impact.

Perhaps Jones could serve as a decent barometer, if Agim gets reps at defensive end. Jones recorded 3.5 sacks and six quarterback hits as a rookie. Should Agim post those totals for the Broncos, his rookie season would likely be a success.

Of course, Agim could also serve as a backup at the defensive tackle position. The Broncos' decision will likely hinge on how much Casey plays at nose tackle. If he plays extensive reps in the middle of the defense, Agim may find more time at defensive end. If Casey plays exclusively defensive end, though, Agim could see reps at tackle behind Purcell.

Should he show the positional versatility to play both inside and outside on the Broncos' line, Agim could solidify his ability to be active on game day.

That should give Agim the chance to continue his improvement and show flashes of his pass rush.

For now, with the way the Broncos' defensive line stacks up, that seems like it would be a welcome contribution.