How Frisman Jackson's playing days influence the way he coaches wide receivers

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
smagn2qubv9rukjtd53b

"I'm always looking at it through the lens of the quarterback. I coach the guys up as if they're playing the quarterback position," Jackson said. "'Hey, here's what the quarterback is thinking, here's where the quarterback's read is, here's why he's doing this.' So I think it gives me that different perspective, and I think the guys appreciate that."

As far as the wideouts he's now coaching, Jackson believes he has a talented group. Though it's tougher to build relationships with players over a screen during the virtual offseason program, Jackson coached Robby Anderson and Keith Kirkwood at Temple. The Panthers signed the duo in April, and those previous connections should help both the position coach and the group at large.

"If I get going, and I get after them, and I get coaching how I coach — (Anderson or Kirkwood) can go in the locker room and be like, 'Hey man, don't take it personally. This is how he coaches. He's going to be demanding of us. He's going to have expectations of this is how we're going to get it done. It's not going to be grades; it's going to be black and white,'" Jackson said. "Both those guys understand how I am. They understand my personality."

If there's one trait Jackson sees throughout the receiving corps that excites him, it's speed. Having worked with Anderson before, Jackson wants to bring out the best of the 27-year-old.

"He can run. He can absolutely fly, and I know he's hungry. I know he wants to be one of the best receivers in the game," said Jackson, who reiterated their previous connection. "I can talk to him I want to talk to him, and he's not going to be like, 'Where the heck is this coming from?' He knows how I am.

"But just the potential he has — I think he still has the potential to be a great player, a great receiver in his league. I'm anxious to get my hands on him again and try to help develop him and get to the point where he wants to be."

Jackson is also inheriting DJ Moore and Curtis Samuel, and from what Jackson has seen from both in his film study, there's a lot to like.

"I think DJ Moore has some of the best hands that I've seen on tape. He's got strong hands. He's competitive," Jackson said. "You see some things in there, you're like, 'Wow, man, this guy can do some really good things.' And same thing with Curtis, man Curtis can fly — he can absolutely run.

"Hopefully those guys are just hungry to be really good players in this league. And I think I can get them to the point where they can look back and say, 'Man, I really developed I really learned a lot of football under Coach Jackson.'"

While the entire league is limited to virtual coaching sessions right now, Jackson is looking forward to getting all his wideouts on the practice field because he thinks each one brings something unique to the offense.

"I really feel really good about the group that I have, just sitting in meetings with them being in meetings with them, just hearing him talk — I think they're anxious to learn football," Jackson said. "They're anxious to get out there and show us what they can do."