How Tahir Whitehead is approaching the uncertainty of the 2020 season

Sir Purr

Mar 16, 2019
qmojbgzxiwhadb2bify3

The communication aspect is particularly crucial for a middle linebacker, which Whitehead knows well given his history with the position. He isn't taking lightly the fact that he's replacing Kuechly, but he also isn't going to make the situation more than what it is, trying to be a player he isn't.

"For me, it's just a matter of I'm my biggest critic. At the end of the day, Luke is Luke and I'm me. He plays the game differently than I do and vice versa. So I just have to go out there and make sure that I can execute my ability and my job within the scheme," Whitehead said.

"So making sure that I'm a good presence in the locker room, a good presence in the linebacker room, and making sure that I'm leading by example and not doing all of the rah-rah stuff. That's just it."

But with Kuechly staying with the organization as a pro scout, Whitehead added, "I'd be a fool not to take advantage of him still being in the building."

"He's extremely smart. Heard nothing but great things about him over the years and I've always admired the way he played from afar."

Whitehead feels similarly about Shaq Thompson, saying he wants to ensure Thompson still feels as comfortable on the field as he did with Kuechly. Watching film, Whitehead quickly noticed the chemistry between the two linebackers.

"My thing is just coming in and just allowing him to still have that freedom to go out there and play the same way he's been playing and not having him feel like, 'Oh man, I have to play different,'" Whitehead said. "So I'm extremely excited about getting an opportunity to play with Shaq."

And judging by how staff talks about Whitehead, it sounds like he could also act as an extra coach.

"(Whitehead is) an alpha. He's aggressive. He's demonstrative. He's a leader," linebackers coach Mike Siravo said. "He can pass rush, he can cover — heck, he can cover like a nickel (cornerback) and he can play 'Mike' 'backer. There's not many guys out there who can do that. He's really unique. But to also have his level of football IQ is a rare thing."