In My Own Words: Making My NFL Debut

Sourdough Sam

Mar 20, 2019
dfd5eticbyxugz5a99wh

The first thing I do when I walk into a stadium is take a jog around the field. I always stop at the goal post to pray and thank God for allowing me to play this game and make sure that I continue to enjoy this game that I love. I was just so thankful.

Remember my hand laceration? I hadn’t been using my hand too much at practice. I’ve been tackling with one hand and having a club around it to protect my stitches. But the last couple of days, I’ve been bringing a little more “pop” into my play. I told myself if I couldn’t practice on Thursday, I couldn’t play Saturday. I was able to use my hands a lot more on Thursday and it felt good, so I was ready to play. On my first play of the game, I didn’t use my hand at all off of instinct because I haven’t used it in so long. I realized, I can’t do that in the game, I’ve got to go. Coach Ryans even noticed I didn’t use my hand. But on the second play, I finally used my hands and struck the guy. I was like “okay, I can let it loose now.”

I got to play against my friend Tony Pollard, who is a running back for the Cowboys. I think that’s another reason why I was so eager to get after them. We played on the same team at the Senior Bowl and have been good friends ever since.