In Second Round, Cardinals Pick Byron Murphy

Big Red

Mar 16, 2019
zs4g8hfreishfovntakr

Byron Murphy sounded almost out of breath and admitted he couldn’t stop pacing around his house.

The cornerback from the University of Washington had hoped to be a first-round pick Thursday night, and there was some disappointment when he didn’t. But Friday morning, when a Cardinals scout called Murphy – who went to high school at Scottsdale Saguaro and played with current Cardinal Christian Kirk – he started thinking about playing for his hometown team.

That came as soon as the second round of the draft began Friday afternoon, with the Cardinals taking Murphy with the first choice of the night, 33rd overall.

“I kind of had it in the back of my mind I could be a Cardinal,” Murphy said. “This whole day has been kind of emotional, just thinking about the Cardinals’ part of the Birdgang, knowing I grew up watching the Cardinals my whole life. I’m ready to stay in my hometown.”

General Manager Steve Keim said the Cardinals had Murphy high on the draft board, even with the chance to take a wide receiver or offensive lineman.

"At 33, to me, Byron Murphy was a no-brainer," Keim said.

Murphy, 5-foot-11 and 190 pounds, only played 20 games in two years at Washington. But he had six interceptions and showed he could play inside and outside in the secondary. A Huskies teammate of Cardinals safety Budda Baker, Murphy potentially slides into the nickel role with veterans Patrick Peterson and Robert Alford on the outside and Baker and D.J. Swearinger at safety.

"He'll compete," coach Kliff Kingsbury said. "He has to be in the rotation somewhere. You see the production, the pass breakups. He always seems to get his hands on the football somehow."

Murphy wasn’t thinking that far ahead, simply saying he would embrace any role he got.

Continue reading...