Inbox: A lot can happen between now and then

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
eltwnsnun9zkdhttym4q

Jeff from Littlefork, MN

I re-watched the divisional game against the Cowboys. I noticed something I hadn't before. I would love the II's take. After Rodgers connects with Cook on the sideline throw, official No. 1 calls no catch and the side judge overrules him and signals completed pass. Official No. 1 runs up and gives the side judge a hearty slap on the rear. I'm not used to seeing emotion from officials. It made the officials seem human. It was as if official No. 1 was saying, "Thanks for getting this call right!" Thoughts?

Referees are people, too. And they only have each other on game day. Also, this is where I write for the 300th time that I could never be a ref.

Randy from Grapevine, TX

In your answer to Dallas' question you mention B.J. Raji as a Day 1 starter, which I totally agree with. He always came across as a great person who could be hysterical. Any good Raji stories? Does he ever come back for alumni days? His interception return was a highlight I will never forget.

I had some great interactions with Raji over the years. He always was available, for interviews or simple small talk. He stepped away from the game in 2016 and you haven't heard a peep about him. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that. It's refreshing to be honest. I have so much respect for that man.

Wes from South Saint Paul, MN

Mike/Wes, two questions in one. When the Packers signed Taysom Hill on the practice squad they probably didn't think he would be grabbed by NO. Seeing what he has done, do you think the Packers regret that move or did they not see him as a potential starter? Also, with all the talk about Aaron Jones and his potential contract, no one is talking about Jamaal Williams. Drafting a RB on Day 3 and letting Williams walk could make money available to re-sign Jones, or is that logic faulty?

Obviously. Hill is a great player. I have no clue whether he's a starting-caliber quarterback but he's been a versatile gadget player for the Saints and a solid special-teamer. The Packers saw that potential before anyone but got caught trying to sneak him to the practice squad. It happens. As far as the running backs, I'm not sure how much one has to do with the other staying in Green Bay. The Packers have another 11 months to figure out how they'll move forward with their backfield. A lot can happen between now and then.

Thomas from La Crosse, WI

What are you most looking forward to in this draft?

It's seeing which teams roll the dice on players with high upside but coming off injuries (like Tua Tagovailoa). GMs will need to rely on their gut feeling about players now more than ever.

Venny from Montgomery, AL

I was hoping for a Prospect Primer on Jalen Hurts and my wish was granted. What round is he projected to get drafted? I hope he lingers around until the late fifth round and the Packers take him as a player to compete with Tim Boyle for the backup role.

I doubt he'll still be in on the board in the fifth. Most draft experts have Hurts going in the late-third or early-fourth round. He's the type of QB prospect I'd be interested in – a mid-rounder whose primary goal is to develop.

Peder from Muskegon, MI

Taylor and Swift, that was funny! If Jonathan Taylor was available in R1 would you be surprised if Gute grabbed him? Maybe I'm a homer but he looks like a generational talent who you get on a five-year rookie contract. How do you see it? And thanks for all you guys are doing through this mess. I could read twice as many Q&As as you post, I have the time.

I think T-Swift will be both available at No. 30 but I would be surprised if Gutekunst drafted either running back. I think it's more likely they look for another Jones or Williams in the middle-to-late rounds.

Colin from Tripoli, WI

Guys, with the draft days away who do you go with? I still want BPA but remember how SF ran over, around and through the defense. I'd love to see once and for all a monster ILB in green and gold. It's been ignored long enough.

In two mocks I've done so far, I've taken TCU defensive tackle Ross Blacklock both times, over Arizona State receiver Brandon Aiyuk and Wisconsin linebacker Zack Baun. All three solid options at No. 30, though.

Tony from River Falls, WI

How do the NFL Draft and salary-cap systems compare to the other major sports in terms of complexity?

Every major sports league has shifted to the some type of rookie-wage scale, with the value of specific selections being slotted. As I've said in the past regarding my frustrations with Major League Baseball, I don't know how you can get fans from all 30-32 markets to invest in their regional team if you don't have a salary cap. In that regard, I think the NFL does it as well as any pro sport.

Scott from Sheboygan, WI

Insiders, thanks to the Legacy series I get the same thrill every week as I did when I was a kid at Christmas. I set aside time every Sunday morning to watch the latest installment.

Thanks to all who spent countless hours putting together this amazing tale of Packers history.

Shout out to Cliff Christl. He's a Hall of Fame sportswriter who could be resting easy right now after decades of service to the newspaper and information industries. But Cliff wants to make sure Packers history is chronicled as detailed and accurately as possible. He's the GOAT on the Packers beat.