Inbox: All they've done is innovate

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
iy4zy3tztbtkrmtjtcxo

Casey from Frisco, TX

The Packers selected Linsley with a fifth-round pick, got seven great seasons out of him (on and off the field), and will receive a fourth-round pick (at worst) next year in return. Seems to me that this is the stuff of a consistently winning organization.

It could be one of those rare insistences where a team drafts an All-Pro player and manages to get a compensatory pick that's higher than the round it originally drafted the player.

Jerome from Monticello, MN

Hi Wes, thanks for all your insight. Do you think Jon Runyan and Jake Hanson are ready to make that next step up? Do think that was part of the reason certain players will be let go?

Runyan passed the eye test for me last year and Spoff did a bang-up job last week of providing evidence for why the younger Runyan could factor into the Packers' O-line equation next year. It was no accident Green Bay invested three sixth-round picks into the O-line last year. The Packers were aiming to find another gem in the later rounds. Runyan has the pedigree, versatility and that edge the Packers look for in O-linemen.

Tory from Milwaukee, WI

Good morning, are we forgetting that we drafted Simon Stepaniak last year as well? I seem to recall he played center and was coming off injury and if he hadn't been injured would have likely been drafted higher than he was. Does he seem like a good contingency plan at center moving into next year or just some nice added depth on the roster?

Stepaniak played guard at Indiana and is still coming back from his knee injury. Beyond that, it's hard for me to offer anything too substantial on him yet. I haven't seen him do anything other than light individual work.

Aaron from Prairie du Sac, WI

Hi Insiders. I keep seeing people talk about the Packers desperately needing inside LB. How high are the Packers on their rookies from last year?

This always has been a talking point for years with the fan base but the Packers like where they stand right now with Krys Barnes and Kamal Martin. With Christian Kirksey's release, Green Bay has room to add another linebacker but Barnes and Martin are the inside guys right now.

Lorin from Muscatine, IA

Longtime reader, first time asking a question. With Joe Barry's talk of playing, "fast and furious," and "doing everything possible to get the ball back in No. 12's hands," do you think this could be Josh Jackson's time to finally shine? He was a ball hawk at Iowa, and just never seemed to fit in Pettine's scheme. Maybe we have that second star corner already on our roster?

I've said it for three years – Jackson has everything you look for in a perimeter cornerback. It's just taking the training wheels off and trusting his instincts as a corner. I still believe he can be a corner in this league if he cleans up the penalties. The Packers need Jackson to push the corners and compete for a defensive role this summer.

Margeaux from Tallahassee, FL

Though Jamaal Williams was a beloved Packer, he is now a Lion. I wish him well. Nevertheless, let me be first to put it out to the universe that his first professional fumble lost will be against the green and gold.

All good things must come to an end, right? But that's a great pickup for the Lions. Williams can bring a lot of stability to their backfield if utilized appropriately.

Kyle from Baldwin, WI

Back in 2018, we brought the kids to training camp. At the end, we were the only ones left watching Tramon and Kevin King run sprints across the field. I was explaining to my 7-year-old who he was, his great plays leading to the Super Bowl, and how much of a fan I was. When Tramon got to our side of the field, I told the kid to yell "HI TRAMON." Tramon turned around with the biggest smile on his face and waved at him. It made our day. Best wishes No. 38. You made an impact on my kids and Green Bay.

Williams was always quick to credit others when it came to his development as a player, but also set the standard on defense when it came to leading by example.

Duane from Oak Creek, WI

Do you see a career in coaching for Tramon Williams?

Possibly. He's already done a great job with his own children and James Jones' youth football team. Tramon is going to be successful in whatever walk of life he chooses to pursue. He's that talented. He's that smart. He's that real.