Inbox: Coaching is in his blood

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
iy5eqkjkxr3bqykfdxwe

Nick from Plainwell, MI

Should we start seeing some more free-agency signings around the league now that OTAs are starting up?

It’s already started. We’ve passed that May 7 deadline, so now any veterans who sign contracts with new teams no longer count towards the compensatory formula.

Andrew from Fort Belvoir, VA

I have to call bologna on the answer to Justin from Toronto. I respect how the II toed the line between being fans, but not obviously being homers. When asked to choose between OBJ and Davante Adams I laughed out loud in my office when you said Adams. I'm a Packer fan, and I love Davante, but picking him before OBJ is an absolute joke! OBJ has a legitimate chance to be one of the best ever, and is on pace to set all sorts of records! Would you take Brandon Jackson over AP too?

Did you just compare Davante Adams to Brandon Jackson? Am I processing that correctly? And if OBJ is unilaterally better than Adams, then why was he traded this offseason and Davante wasn’t? They’re both 26 years old and one year into their extensions. So why would the Giants let OBJ go? Even after a down year, the Packers seem content with their No. 1 receiver. Get some facts…and come back and see me. I’m kidding about that last part. I just wanted to work a Jim Calhoun reference in there.

Taylor from Hull, IA

How difficult is it for the media people to find pictures without players who are no longer with the team? When players leave, such as Clay Matthews and Randall Cobb, I find it interesting how quickly they disappear from any official images the Packers put out.

It’s really not that difficult with 53-man rosters. Maybe it’s tougher for sports with smaller rosters such as the NBA and MLB.

George from Olympia, WA

Do we really need so many tight ends?

Four? The Packers have carried as many as five on the 53-man roster during my time on the beat.

Thomas from Evansville, IN

Who do you predict to be our main receiving TE this year?

Jimmy Graham. Barring injury, he’s “the man” at tight end for the Packers this year. There’s still gas left in the tank and Rodgers trusts him implicitly.

Dave from Germantown, TN

I just saw where the Packers are Brooks Koepka's favorite football team. Do you think Rodgers will contact him about playing in next year’s Pebble Beach Pro-Am?

I don’t know about that. Rodgers sure seems to have found a favorite in Ho-sung Choi.

Corey from Whitehall, PA

I watched Quinnen Williams' recent interview about how he was star struck when meeting some of his new teammates. I love his energy and excitement just for being where he's at and I hope he has a long, healthy career. Do you have any stories of being star struck or in awe when interviewing a player?

I don’t want this to come off as too cool for the room, but I don’t get star struck. Because this is my job. It’s how I feed my family. Once you’re in that groove, you kind of get tunnel vision. That’s where I am. I’m sure it’s no different than any of you in your respective fields of expertise.

Mark from Bettendorf, IA

Who is your favorite athlete of all time, and why?

I grew up idolizing Allen Iverson. He was smaller, like me, but he dominated the competition. What he did on the basketball court was magical.

Brian from Sussex, WI

Do the II writers watch for the posting of II on their day off from writing it, then take a work break to read it like the rest of us? If not, you should so you get to experience the normal readers’ anxiousness waiting, and excitement when it's available every day.

It’s usually the first thing I do when I get into the office because I need to know which direction the conversation is heading.

LeeAnn from Carefree, IN

Final episode of “Game of Thrones” or final episode of “Big Bang Theory”?

I didn’t see the final episode of “Big Bang,” so I’ll go with that one.

Matt from Janesville, WI

Wes, I’ll admit I was kind of disappointed with the final season of GoT as a whole. What were your thoughts about the finale last night and the final season, in general?

I think the showrunners outkicked their coverage, to be honest. Maybe George’s ending will work better with more room for character development in the books, but I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t disappointed.

Dean from Leavenworth, IN

Wes, Mike, Larry, and John – you are the eyes and ears of information for starved Packer fans throughout the world. We're counting on you. Are you ready? And so it begins.

Every day, we’re tirelessly working to shorten the gap to Sept. 5.

HAVE A QUESTION?