Inbox: Everyone has a role to play

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
jpqm5bv7yhi8xmovu33u

Malcolm from Fennimore, WI

In response to Clifford from Brockport, I believe the reason most of us fans remember the bad punts is because they are easier to spot and make us more emotional than the good punts. Fans don't truly praise the good things a punter does. All the credit goes to the offense or defense.

No doubt. Football is a team game, which magnifies individual moments. That's why you're more likely to critique a kicker, punter or returner if something goes awry. I agree Scott was up and down but I believe it's an oversimplification to say his struggles were directly tied to key moments. He had plenty of clutch punts, as well.

Mark from West Des Moines, IA

What are your thoughts regarding Dom Capers joining the Vikings' staff?

Awesome. Whatever you think of Capers and how things ended in Green Bay, he remains to this day one of the best human beings I've ever covered. He's also one heck of a football coach. I love to see him still out there at 69.

Darren from Oklahoma, OK

I just saw the Vikes picked up Dom Capers as a senior defensive assistant. Does this make him an assistant to all coaches on the defense?

Capers was in the same role last year in Jacksonville. It's become pretty common for older, established coaches to help in that capacity. I imagine Capers will assist co-defensive coordinators, Andre Patterson and Adam Zimmer (yes, he's Mike's son).

Eric from Mequon, WI

So the Monday after the XFL debut and not a single question? Do you have a mandate not to acknowledge the new league or am I the only person that reads II that watched? I thought it was exciting, full of decent talent, and some major changes the NFL should look into (kickoff, replay transparency, etc.). What a weekend of football that got no recognition by the Inbox!

I think Spoff made his point abundantly clear he isn't going to be fielding XFL questions, which is his prerogative. Just like how I don't entertain Brewers (or reserve contract) questions. I watched one game this weekend (LA and Houston) and enjoyed it. The replay reviews were amateurish and there's a dearth of offensive playmakers but it was fine for a February football fix. Pace is important and the XFL kept the ball moving.

Jeff from Athens, WI

I watched portions of two of the XFL games this weekend and came away with only one aspect of the game that I think could be good for the NFL. The XFL's kickoffs do appear to be much safer for the players than the NFL kickoffs. I did not see as much potential for returns for touchdowns, but I could clearly see a safety benefit. Did you watch any of the games and do you have an opinion on this? Do you think the NFL would consider a change like this? I think the NFLPA would agree with the change.

The changes to kickoffs are my favorite adjustment. It's a small sample size but the optics were good. It looked much safer but I still saw room for an explosive play, as well. That's something to monitor these next nine weeks.

Matthias from San Antonio, TX

I will say that I thought that the AAF would be more successful than the XFL, but with exception to the extra-point rule eliminating placekicking and drop kicks, I found the rules of the return game on kickoffs and punts unique and the review process refreshingly simple. Stupid question is, did you watch any of the games and do you see any of the XFL rules filtering over to the NFL?

It did the first time around and I could definitely see history repeating itself. The XFL can freely experiment in ways the NFL simply can't. That's the best way to innovate.

Derek from Norton, KS

Do you feel Patrick Mahomes is being oversold as a "mobile" quarterback? He had a couple of big scrambles when everyone was watching. I believe he has a long ways to go before we can compare him to Steve Bono.

I love how Bono had a 76-yard touchdown run in 1995…and only 181 combined rushing yards on his other 86 scrambles. Football is weird, man. Mahomes is the total package, though. A true five-tool player.

Lou from Wausau, WI

How much does a draft choice's academic record factor into his selection?

It's not the be-all, end-all but it is considered.

Joe from Asbury, IA

GM Spoffkiewicz. Your only move in FA is to re-sign No. 75. You're on the clock and have an ILB, WR, and TE all with the same grade sitting there at 30. What's your move?

Inside linebackers with a legit first-round grade are hard to find. The Packers have a rich history of finding Pro Bowl-caliber receivers in the second and third round, as well. I'd be tempted to go with the linebacker.