Inbox: Football is all moves and counter moves

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
jo87fsqsdol7dzuckin6

George from Manassas, VA

Regarding David Bakhtiari's return, didn't Bryan Bulaga return quicker than expected from a torn ACL to start the next season? I understand injuries can be very different, but what was Bulaga's timeline?

Bulaga did return ahead of schedule, in time for the 2018 regular-season opener, but he also tore his ACL on Nov. 6, 2017. While Bakhtiari is a physical freak, every injury is different. My advice to fans would be to keep your expectations reasonable and let the rest surprise you.

George from Kennebunkport, ME

A big factor in the NFCCG was which team gave their QB better protection. Bakhtiari's absence was critical. I have always been concerned about O-line depth. The Packers have stocked up the O-line: Three picks last year and three this year. But we also lost Corey Linsley and Rick Wagner. Do you think we will be better situated in 2021 if we face a similar ill-timed injury, like what happened prior to the NFCCG?

The Packers were situated pretty darn well last year. Believe it or not, it's not easy to replace a starting left tackle, let alone the best one in the NFL. What I will say is the Packers have responded well to the departures of Linsley, Wagner and Lane Taylor. They've given themselves options.

Doug from Neenah, WI

Good morning. The versatility of fourth-round draft choice Royce Newman was on full display at the 2021 Senior Bowl. He took practice reps at center, guard and tackle. In the game itself, he started out at right tackle for the first series or two but then switched over to left tackle for the duration. I think he played every snap. Are these decisions about positions made by the player, coaches or NFL scouts? Do the Packers require this type of O-line position versatility to make the 53? Thanks.

The Senior Bowl is about giving prospects the best chance to showcase themselves to prospective NFL teams and moving around is part of it. I think coaches and scouts can request players line up at different positions (within reason), but it's a fairly common practice for offensive linemen to take snaps in multiple spots. Newman knew what he was doing.

Nik from Moore, OK

It looks like the third- and fourth-string QB we need to sign are going to be more important than we previously thought. Does this change the way Gute approaches it? Do we need a vet now that can start if needed? Does this infuriate Rodgers even more? Honestly, the GM must prepare for everything, and no "12" is a real possibility. I think the UDFA QB is not what we need now, rather a proven vet that has the ability to pick up the offense quickly and play some snaps. Hoyer or Foles after Bears cut him?

This is new territory for me. I don't recall a time where the Packers came out of draft weekend with only two QBs under contract. At the very least, they'll bring in a quarterback or two to throw during rookie camp. Obviously, the Packers could sign a veteran without any issues with next year's compensatory equation (that process ended Tuesday), but most of the top guys have already been swooped up.

Ben from Northbrook, IL

Is it OK that I am sick of the whole Aaron Rodgers saga and don't care how it turns out? Good Lord, it's a game. The man makes more money to play each game than most of his fans will make in their entire lives. Whatever he does, he does. I refuse to agonize about this or even pay attention. Enough.

Predictably, most of our submissions this week have been Rodgers-related– and I totally get it. But I'm just not in the business of reacting to the latest in an endless line of "reports." We got something real? Is someone putting something on the record? OK, let's discuss it. Until then, I'm kind of numb to all this.