Inbox: Greater clarity will soon arrive

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
ozbb9qpba0plvvoewb8p

Marilyn from Canyon Country, CA

Who is your all-time favorite player?

Walter Payton.

Mario from Kettleman City, CA

He's baaack. Louisiana Tech's own and Green Bay Packers great, Tramon Williams, signs with the Baltimore Ravens. His hope of winning another Super Bowl remains alive.

Wouldn't it be something if he has an INT binge in the playoffs like he did 10 years ago?

Anthony from Jamestown, ND

Jamison Crowder made a heck of a toe-tapping, toe-dragging catch on MNF. He looked out of bounds on the live feed, but replay showed he clearly caught it. Do these guys practice that type of catch, and do teams have a test or scout to see if a player has that type of ability to control their body?

Receivers practice that kind of footwork all the time in the NFL. They don't have to catch the ball that way in college, so it's not really scouted. It's a learned skill.

Noah from Singapore

Hey Inbox! The more I watch Davante Adams , the more impressed I am with his calm and composed demeanor no matter the situation. He reminds me a lot of how Jordy Nelson carried himself on and off the field. Is this a trait Adams learned while being around Nelson, or is this inherent to Davante's nature?

There may be some of both, but I don't think someone can adopt that type of demeanor solely by trying to model someone else. The foundation has to be built in, and Wes and I talked about that some on the latest "Unscripted."

Richard from Farmington Hills, MI

Wes wrote that you guys sit eight feet apart. Are you wearing masks? What's the protocol in the building? I believe you've said you're tested every day. Have to add that I've been so disappointed in my home state to see the virus running amok there.

We're a little more than eight feet apart, actually, separated by cube walls as well as a walking path between our cubes. Our protocol in the building is to wear a mask when you get up from your desk to go anywhere. We also wear them in the studio until right before the cameras come on for "Unscripted" or "Final Thoughts."

Marin from West Lawn, PA

When Kevin King returns to the starting lineup, will the Packers have him play for extended time or frequently rotate him with Josh Jackson?

My expectation would be when King is healthy, he's playing close to every snap.

Ross from Roswell, GA

Gents, with the winter months upon you soon, do you think playing at Lambeau in the cold without fans will make motivation even harder to come by?

I sure hope not, though if southern teams like Carolina and Tennessee come into the cold any less motivated that would be fine.

Beefcake from Minneapolis, MN

Mike, it's obvious to the outside observer that Marcedes Lewis commands a lot of respect from his teammates. Kudos to you as your WYMM segment this week helped me understand why. No, he's not the obvious downfield threat, but this guy can BLOCK. I'd wager he does his job better than some offensive linemen in the league.

LaFleur doesn't sweat leaving Lewis against a top-flight edge defender if that's what the play and formation call for. The blocking by the tight ends collectively in the San Francisco game was the best I'd seen on film this season.

Tom from Mt. Juliet, TN

Your comments on Alex Trebek hit home. The entire nation skipped a beat on the word of his passing. Pancreatic cancer is one of the most fatal and painful cancers of all. My father was taken by this horrible disease in 1974. Little was known about it at the time and the doctors gave my dad six months. Through guts and determination my dad made it three years. Much like my dad, Trebek handled it with character and dignity. It takes a special person to look death in the eyes and say "not yet."

Well said, and to include some sentiments expressed by other readers, his native Canada will miss him dearly as well.

Clint from Port Washington, WI

In your opinion does having Billy Turner and others play so well during his injury diminish the need to re-sign David Bakhtiari? Or, to put it another way, is the amount of money the Packers are willing to pay him decreasing during his absence? Not having to pay the top left tackle salary would free up a bunch of cap room for the other FAs...

Sure it would, but I wouldn't advise taking that approach. You don't let established All-Pro players who have plenty left to give, especially at premier positions, walk out the door if you can help it.

Aaron from Eau Claire, WI

Wes mentioned that he wants as many home games as possible during the playoffs, but I would argue that with the lack of fans and the fact that the Packers' strength is their pass game and pass defense, playing in the cold on the tundra of Lambeau Field does not feel like an advantage for this team. I would much rather see them play in a dome in January (and in Tampa in February).

I hear where you're coming from, but getting to practice in the weather you're playing in when the opponent can't, and eliminating travel, are advantages in and of themselves.