Inbox: He'll be better for it

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
lkbenmicaudl1dtspwgt

Craig from Sheboygan, WI

Darnell Savage rarely had his name called this year. Clearly needs to improve tackling. But with his speed, size and youth do you feel he will have a more impactful year next year?

Absolutely. His arrow is pointing up. Rookies don't often get all that playing time and experience. He'll be better for it.

Mike from Ames, IA

I know this is looking way too far into the future and with a lot of variables, but is there anyone from this year's practice-squad group that you're keeping your eye on for next year's roster?

Cornerback Kabion Ento and outside linebacker Randy Ramsey. I thought Ento had a chance to make the team in camp last year until he got hurt, and Ramsey just has that classic edge-rusher physique.

Maggie from Kenosha, WI

Since we know the 2020 opponents already, without knowing the schedule yet, which away games are you most looking forward to? My plan is to get to the Tampa game, so if that wanted to be a November or December trip on the schedule, I wouldn't complain.

Since the two games I've covered in New Orleans ('08, '14) were both disasters for Green Bay that left me with an absolutely pounding, multi-day headache, I'm going to apply the reverse-psyche and really, really look forward to the trip to the Superdome.

Al from Green Bay, WI

By the power vested in me, I hereby declare you to be "Commissioner for a day." In addition to the incredible compensation, you are given the ability to make two rule changes for the upcoming football season. What are your changes?

Roger's salary for a day would pay me about $100K, so thanks. I would make all potential safety-related penalties/violations subject to automatic review, and for the replay system in general, the call on the field no longer would take precedence.

Jesse from Bonita Springs, FL

It just dawned on me that we don't need to draft an edge rusher, CB or safety this year (at least not in the first few rounds). It seems like forever since we've talked about other positions. How long has it been?

The last time the Packers didn't draft an edge rusher and/or defensive back in the first three rounds was 2013, and even then Datone Jones was playing outside linebacker by the end of his rookie year.

Craig from Brookfield, WI

It was not that long ago the Rams looked unbelievably loaded, and were the team all others should emulate. Now the 49ers are breaking the pass-happy mold and we're all enamored with that (especially after a spanking). Is this new 49er model a trend, or an anomaly? Honestly, I'd rather not go through five years of high first-round draft picks. And we're truly blessed as Packer fans that most seasons we can realistically ask, "Might this be our year?"

I thought the point Gutekunst made Friday about the offseason not being totally about chasing the 49ers was a salient one. It's why I expounded on it a bit on our final "Unscripted." It's a potential trap, because as noted, the Rams went from the Super Bowl to out of the playoffs with largely the same roster. I'm not saying that'll happen with the 49ers, but the point is you never know in this league. It's year to year. Ron Wolf focused his 1999 draft on Randy Moss by drafting cornerbacks with his first three picks. Only when he traded one of those corners for Ahman Green did the Packers actually get back on track.

Brett from Boonsboro, MD

I can't help but feel the Packers are just one undefeated season away from winning the Super Bowl.

That's actually pretty funny.

Gregory from Post Lake, WI

Let's end this discussion about under- or overachieving. "You are what your record says you are" is the way the great Bill Parcells looked at it. Hard to argue with his thinking.

And that record means bupkis once the playoffs begin. It primarily determines where the game is played, but that's about it.

Lites from Long Beach, CA

Longtime reader, seldom poster but I noticed something today: Mike is a "senior" writer while Wes is a "staff" writer. Is this due to longevity, ability or the capacity for stealing lunch? Inquiring minds need to know.

It certainly has nothing to do with ability. I arrived here in 2006 as a staff writer and was named senior writer in 2014. Then Wes arrived as a staff writer in 2016. I'm also roughly 15 years older than he is, so I've got that going for me, which is nice.