Inbox: He's a hard-charging back who's all ball

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
gbzzbdht8r3rvbv1m8rz

Bob from Rossford, OH

Thanks for providing the A.J. Dillon highlights. Beyond his size, strength and speed, what caught my eye was his workmanlike attitude on display. Big run? Get up, hand the ball to the ref and get ready for the next play. Turn a screen pass into a big gain? Get up, hand the ball to the ref and get ready for the next play. Score a touchdown? Get up, celebrate with his teammates, hand the ball to the ref and get ready for the next play. That is a teammate everyone wants.

Again, I want to keep expectations modest until we see this guy play. If you read Spoff's profile, Dillon has future fan favorite written all over him if his success can translate to the next level. He's a hard-charging back who's all ball.

Geoff from Beaver Dam, WI

I'm in favor of safety and football. Can we condense the season so we play the six games against the division? The eight division winners go to the playoffs, seeded by record and ties broken by point differential. All games on Sunday except the season kickoff would be Thanksgiving. Maybe we will have a better grip on this pandemic by Thanksgiving. I'd rather we had a condensed season, than no season, or some awkward summer league.

The NFL will officially unveil the 2020 regular-season schedule Thursday night and I, for one, will be paying close attention to the way the 17-week calendar is built. The league is planning for every possible contingency. If the season is shortened, it would only make sense to place more emphasis on division play.

Jim from San Antonio, TX

Wes, careers tend to be pretty short for new coaches, and even new GMs when there is not a successful product on the field. How much do you think the successful 13-3 year in their back pockets contributed to Gutey and LaFleur's willingness to draft for a QB of the future? Isn't it possible that with that season fresh in people's minds, and a Hall of Fame QB at the helm, that it may buy them enough time to actually still be around to see their first-round QB perform?

Very little. The Packers didn't hire Brian Gutekunst and Matt LaFleur to just achieve short-term goals. Yes, everyone wants to win championships but those hires also were made to build for the future. Jordan Love was the guy Gutekunst and Co. wanted to develop so I don't think last year's record had anything to do with it.

Matt from Manhattan, KS

I disagree that it's not the Packers' MO to trade and target a specific player. Gute has traded up three times in the first round of his three drafts to get somebody. On a different note, I'm excited to see Rashan Gary grow this year. Every time he hit the field he was close to the action, even if he didn't quite get home. Based on Kyler Fackrell being gone, how many extra snaps do you think he might get this year?

Spoff's point was it's not the Packers' practice to trade future draft picks in a current draft. Fackrell played 415 defensive snaps in 2019. I could see a majority of those reps getting thrown Gary's way, especially in the dime package.

Wes from South Saint Paul, MN

People quickly forgot the Favre retire/not retire fiasco the Packers went through. I am a fan of Aaron Rodgers, but just because he wants to play into his 40s doesn't mean he can/will. The team has to be ready for whatever happens. They also need to remember names like Hasselbeck, Brooks and Brunell – Packers backups that didn't become the starter, but went on to successful careers elsewhere. If Love develops and Rodgers stays healthy and plays into his 40s, Love will reap great draft capital.

That's an excellent point, Wes (I've always wanted to say that, by the way). As Spoff pointed out on "Unscripted" Monday, there's also something to be said for if Love would have to make a crucial spot start here or there over the next few years.

Andy from Verona, WI

Any predictions on who and where the Packers will play the last game of the regular season next year?

Anyone but the Lions. Anywhere but Detroit.

Eric from Honolulu, HI

How will the rookies go through rookie training camp this year?

The 2011 class did it, despite the obstacles of the lockout. Whenever the doors reopen, it's going to take a lot of hard work, focus and ingenuity for those incoming rookies to succeed.

Craig from Brookfield, WI

As much as I'd like to have seen a WR drafted, fans and pundits need to realize that there were five receivers gone before the Pack's first pick. There's no way I'd spend a first-rounder on the sixth-best (theoretically) receiver, even in a WR-heavy draft. And just because the draft was deep at the position...just how deep? Seems to me there was a dramatic drop-off once those first five were gone. Gutey's talent evaluation on the last draft and free agents should buy him a strong benefit of the doubt.

Gutekunst said there were several receivers the Packers were really high on but the cream of the crop was off the board by the time the Packers picked. Undoubtedly, a receiver or two will shine who was taken in the second round or later but that doesn't mean picking a receiver at No. 26 or 30 was a guarantee. The last three receivers drafted at 26? Calvin Ridley (who looks like a good pick), Breshad Perriman and Jon Baldwin. The last three at 30? A.J. Jenkins, Kenny Britt and Craig Davis. The risk is real…that's why scouts have to trust their eyes.