Inbox: He's bringing out the best in everyone

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
xckd9cqhxyjdxe3rmy0f

Pat from Kennesaw, GA

Can you tell me the difference between "signed to the active roster from the practice squad" and "elevated from the practice squad to the active roster"? Are not all players on the practice squad already signed by the team? Thanks.

"Signed" means the player has been added to the active roster. "Elevated" means the player remains on the practice squad but will be on the game-day roster. Teams are allowed to do that twice with practice-squad players before they must be signed to the 53.

Patsi from Riverside, CA

Hi Wes. Now that the Packers have successfully completed the first quarter of their season, which part of their schedule after the bye week do you feel will be the most challenging? Do you anticipate that the next four games in the remaining first half of the schedule with three road games against veteran QBs will be the most difficult?

Yeah. Houston and Minnesota have dealt with a lot of adversity but I still say it's this upcoming second quarter for me. The Packers have back-to-back away games coming out of the bye, followed by the always-tough Vikings at home and then a road game in San Francisco on a short week. That's not walk in the park.

Joe from Dundee, IL

Hi Wes on Wednesday. How about that name for a video or chat with Wes held each Wednesday? My football question: I feel like the Falcons helped the Packers with the timeout they took in the last minute or so of the first half. Any insight on why they did that?

Spoff is the chat guy. I'm not here to steal his lunch (chat). Atlanta was trying to get the ball back. Mike McCarthy used to do that quite a bit, too, near the end of the first half.

Brandon from Pleasant Prairie, WI

Seeing how the Packers are doing these last four games, do you think the bye week at this point (although needed for healing and rest) will impact the team's momentum/play coming out of it? Even with the injuries, they just seem to be clicking right now.

No. They'll be fine. They're not breaking for the summer.

Matty from Janesville, WI

The Packers were supposed to have a down year this year according to the "experts." Yes, there is a lot of season left to play, but part of the continued success has to be the lack of turnover on the roster. NFL rosters historically turn over rather quickly. How many Packers on this year's team were on last year's team, including practice squad?

Forty-one of the 53 players currently on the active roster.

Bob from Leiden, Netherlands

My favorite quote from one of the announcers was that JK Scott "might as well be in witness protection" since it was only his sixth punt of the season.

It was a funny line, but all jokes aside, I think this is a good thing for Scott. He's gotten off to some really solid starts the past two years but also battled some leg fatigue late in the season. He's on pace to punt like 24 times or something crazy. Hopefully, that keeps him fresh and booming.

Paul from Nevada City, CA

Spoff/Wester-truly a "carousel," a GREAT word choice. While I thought AR should and could have had another TD, I quickly viewed the game as an ML play-calling experiment simply trying unexpected plays for results to put into the vault. Concur his goal-line play calls were more than suspect – too conservative. Just sorry to lose the 40-plus point average!

LaFleur lamented the fourth-and-goal but he also had a lot of great calls in that game he'll never mention. I'm sure Packers fans appreciate the 4-0 start but this offense is just flat-out fun. LaFleur has created an entertaining, and successful, brand of football.