Inbox: He's going to get plenty of opportunity

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
bf3s4hhxezsmulp6pcfk

Jeff from Greenville, SC

What about a self-sanitizing ball? When thrown it shoots a mist out of the front of the ball and flies through it. Could stickum be added to aid catchability?

The Inbox has officially gone off the rails…

Fred from La Crosse, WI

I'm sensitive to sounds, (e.g., my Gjallarhorn II submission earlier this year). The last post on Thursday from Rick in Evergreen, CO, about silence made me think if we could train the crickets at Lambeau Field to respond a message on the big screen to get loud. Are there crickets at Lambeau? Just me thinking during the offseason about the sounds at a game.

…assuming there even were rails to begin with.

Rhino from Waterloo, IA

Maybe I missed this but with all the concerns about COVID and time missed, are you aware of anything the players are doing with their diets or extra vitamins (A, D, K and zinc) or one of the immune system boosters on the market like Epicor? Also, are there protocols in place to prevent a situation like occurred in Detroit with the false positive of Matthew Stafford? I can see this being a real issue if it happened like the day before a game.

I have no idea how a false positive would be handled in the heart of the season. Given how many successive negative tests are required to clear the protocol, missing a game with a false positive might be the ultimate tough-luck scenario for any player or team in already difficult circumstances. As for immune boosters, Aaron Rodgers mentioned that in his media call the other day, so I would bet someone has presented the players with related information.

Jesse from Bonita Springs, FL

If Cliff's goal in yesterday's story was to write something to make me laugh, it worked. Not really a question but an opportunity for a shameless plug.

That column had a little bit of everything, didn't it? Jockstraps hanging from the goalposts to dry, players getting poison ivy while heeding nature's call in the woods, and the image of the head coach casting a fishing rod while his players are beating the stuffing out of one another. You can't make this stuff up.

Patrick from Oconomowoc, WI

With all players being eligible to opt-out, I am slightly surprised not to see more rookies taking a pass on this year. I can see both sides of their choices, opt-out and you can get a full year (hopefully) in the offseason program and have a greater chance to make an impact next year but lose salary. Opt-in and you get less playing time but get the full pay and get one year closer to a bigger contract. Any opinions?

Service time means everything for young players, in working toward not only that second contract but also getting vested for various long-term benefits, like their pension.

Donald from Fayetteville, NC

How would you describe David Bakhtiari's Hall of Fame chances at this point in his career?

If over the next four years, he repeats his accolades from the previous four (one first-team and three second-team All-Pro selections, two Pro Bowls), he'll be a very strong candidate.