Inbox: He didn't choose Green Bay by accident

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
tmufhqn0yt5fpnebskpg

Justin from Los Angeles, CA

Wes referred to Josh Meyers as a "new age interior offensive lineman" at 6-5. What's the reasoning behind the evolution to taller guards and centers?

The old-school line of thinking was shorter interior offensive linemen had a better chance of getting underneath the pads of the 6-4, 6-5 defensive linemen. But as athletes have evolved, taller guys aren't necessarily as vulnerable inside anymore. If they can bend, get low and create the leverage they need, the assumptions about taller offensive linemen having to be tackles on the edge have diminished.

Mark from Canton, GA

For those who don't like a pick because he maybe graded a bit lower in his position than another available player (people complaining about taking Myers over Creed for example), I want to quote the great late Herb Brooks, "I'm not looking for the best players, I'm looking for the right ones." I mean, isn't that what the draft is truly about?

It's a beauty-in-the-eye-of-the-beholder event. Always has been. Great line from a great movie, by the way.

Dave from Comer, GA

I guess the Vikings win the "Best UDFA Name Signing Trophy" this year by signing Whop Philyor (WR) and Tuf Borland (LB). They'll Whop you with their offense and their defense will be Tuf. Too bad they didn't sign Amen Ogbongbemiga (LA Chargers) for the trifecta.

I don't know why I felt compelled to post this, but I did.

John from Boca Raton, FL

When a reader asked, "It seems like the NFL has been adapting some to what college has been producing at QB more so recently than 10-15 years ago, no?", I think you missed an opportunity to discuss the improvement of QB coaching at all levels. It's not the NFL adapting to college play, it's the QBs being better coached to immediately produce at the pro level, with notable exceptions.

I agree that QB coaching, which has become an industry all its own, has changed the landscape. But the NFL has changed and adapted, too. It wasn't long ago that QBs with the running profiles of Lamar Jackson and Trey Lance, among others, never would have been first-round draft picks. Russell Wilson was the No. 75 overall pick just nine years ago.

Tom from Palatine, IL

I can't begin to understand what is going through Aaron Rodgers' head right now. Obviously he has been bothered for some time about team decisions but I'm still rather surprised how this escalated. My biggest question is how his teammates are feeling right now. Bakhtiari is rehabbing from his ACL, Aaron Jones took a lesser contract, Marcedes Lewis is in the final years of his career and they all wanted to come back to finish the job and get to a Super Bowl. I wonder what they are feeling?

So do I. So do a lot of folks.

Mark from Pitt Meadows, BC

Will Rodgers' uncertain future affect a new contract for Davante Adams and whether he wants to stay or not? It was just speculation and fear of the unknown then, but this past weekend has me even more interested in your opinion on how that affects his view or the team's view. As always Go Pack Go!

Another common question, and I'd be a fool to speculate on anyone else's thoughts or emotions. What I can say with the utmost confidence is the situation has zero impact on how the Packers view or value Davante Adams.

Brian from Chesapeake, VA

While channel surfing ABC, ESPN and NFL Network, I can't recall which commentator mentioned it, but he made a great point about how important NFL coaching comes into play with a successful draft. While GMs make the pick, it is the position coach who really makes the player NFL-ready and should receive more credit and criticism. Thoughts?

Environment is inevitably a major factor in a young player's success in the NFL. Is he in the right system? With the right team, depth chart-wise? In a city he's comfortable (but not too comfortable)? Coaching is another element, no doubt. But it always starts with the talent, the will and the drive. This business is as competitive and cut-throat as it gets, and it can churn through players and spit them out for any number of reasons.