Inbox: He didn’t back down from anything

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
wqaxvaux8kmqtb4n6n7t

Bill from Bloomfield Hills, MI

Are there any teams whose combination of draft picks and needs intrigue you as to what they might end up doing? Similarly, any teams that you see as having either needs or opportunities to be trading partners with others (or the Packers) for first-round trades, e.g., any you would bet aren't going to end up using their current picks when it’s all said and done?

The Raiders are the easy answer. They have the assets to do anything. Looking a little further down the list, Seattle and New England intrigue me. The Seahawks again have a dearth of available picks, so I’m interested to see how John Schneider solves that problem. The Patriots were fairly quiet in free agency after losing a bevy of good players. They need a good draft to refill the coffers.

Eric from St. Paul, MN

Insiders, with the flurry of AAF players being signed is there a reason why Green Bay hasn't brought in a single one to look at? I don't know if any would make the final 53 but we should be building the best 90-man roster right now. And one would think having guys that were recently playing would help competition throughout the spring and training camps. GB did the same thing last year when everybody knew they needed safety depth, yet refused to even look at the available veteran safeties.

I want to preface my answer by saying I’m thrilled for all the AAF guys, including Jayrone Elliott, who have signed NFL contracts. At the same time, I don’t lose any sleep about the Packers not signing anyone. Hopefully, a few players will reignite their NFL careers, but several will land back on the free-agent market later this summer. My guess – and that’s all it is – is the Packers are focused more on the next class of college free agents.

Ryan from Whitesburg, KY

As a young 19-year-old Packers fan in early 2011, I was really disappointed that Clay Matthews didn't win defensive player of the year after the 2010 season. He seemed to be more deserving of it than Polamalu. I believe he finished second but was it a surprise to everyone else like it was me or was I just a young biased Packers fan?

It could have gone either way. It reminds me a lot of the tight race between Charles Woodson and Darrelle Revis in 2009. You win some, you lose some.

Dale from Wilton, WI

Growing up in the ’80s, I loved Lofton. Laying on the floor, watching the game, and having to jump up at the plays. My first Packer memory is Lofton making catches in between multiple bright orange defenders from Tampa in the snow bowl. That was a fun game to watch.

I wasn’t alive for the Lofton years in Green Bay and before you guys skewer me about that, I want to tell a quick story. Before the days of internet and Google, Packers Yearbooks were the lifeline to team history. I used to beg my parents to bring me to the Brown County library, so I could page through old yearbooks. That’s how I discovered Bart Starr as a coach, Lynn Dickey and Lofton. You don’t need to have watched Lofton to know he had a remarkable career, though. If you play 16 seasons in the NFL and end your career with 18.3 yards per catch, you did something right.

Gerbie from Elk Mound, WI

I was happy to hear that Ty Montgomery is getting a shot with the Jets. I also heard from anonymous sources close to the situation that he intends to reverse his number.

I hear No. 88 is open out there.