Inbox: He exudes an old-school mentality

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
l9ahnujci9waatcwfdlz

Griffin from Belmont, NC

We have already covered Love missed a lot of offseason and preseason action last year. Does this put him farther behind than the incoming rookies that at least were able to see live action in college, or is being in an NFL system more valuable than college games?

Learning an NFL playbook is a huge first step, and I'm sure he got a taste for the speed of the NFL even in just limited camp and practice reps last year. It hasn't put him behind, just lengthened his acclimation period, in a sense.

HR from Las Vegas, NV

In response to Spoff stating, about Jordan Love, in the Wednesday II, "If he in any way, shape or form was going to be ready without all that, he wouldn't have been available at pick No. 26." I'd like to point out that Rodgers was touted as potentially being No. 1 overall...and then fell all the way to 24. I'd also like to point out that Tom Brady was picked 199 overall, and has seven SB titles to his name. To state that Love was available at 26 because he wasn't "ready" is just wrong.

What exactly is your point? That every evaluation and selection of a QB must be compared to when two Hall of Famers were drafted 15 and 21 years ago? Because the context of every draft's decisions and ramifications is the same? Because the game hasn't evolved since the turn of the century, at either the college or pro level? And that I'm somehow way off base to suggest if he'd been viewed as NFL-ready from the jump, without needing any OTAs, minicamps or preseason games as a rookie, he might have been drafted higher? Well, how could I be so obtuse?

Arthur from Eau Claire, WI

When I look at the Packers' starting backfield I am reminded of the Dolphins' backfield of Kiick and Csonka. I hope that the resemblance continues throughout the year.

That's going back a ways, but the body types match up somewhat. One-two backfield punches come in all shapes and sizes, and the Packers have had their share – Hornung-Taylor, Brockington-Lane, Bennett-Levens, Lacy-Starks, just to name a few. AJ Dillon gives this one another shape and size.

Johnny from Madison, WI

Did the Packers have any plays last season where the ball could be handed off to either Aaron Jones or Williams depending on what the defense was showing? Is that something that could be effective with the different skill sets of Jones and Dillon?

Most often, if Jones and Williams were in the backfield together, Jones motioned out to see how the defense reacted and a check was made if warranted. I could see similar probing in the plan with these two.

Douglas from Castle Rock, CO

For AJ Dillon to be a complementary back to Jones, he needs to be a complete back also. He needs to have teams respect his receiving and blocking skills. How are his hands looking as he comes out of the backfield? Can we consider him a credible threat to catch the ball?

He didn't do it much in college, but we saw glimpses last year he has the ability. It's a skill he must continue to refine.

Mike from Cascade, ID

Hi II, the pictures of AJ Dillon were impressive! His thighs stretch out his shorts the way some guys wear small T-shirts to show off their biceps. Is it too early to make comparisons with Earl Campbell? Campbell had 36-inch thighs, was 5-11 and 233 pounds of inertia!

One of my all-time favorites, and I don't think there's a legitimate comparison. Campbell was one of a kind to me. He AVERAGED 350 carries for 1,600 yards and 14 TDs over his first four seasons in the league. Think about that. There have been only three 350-carry seasons in the league in the last decade (Arian Foster 2012, DeMarco Murray 2014, Derrick Henry 2020), but for good reason. Campbell barely lasted four more years after his workhorse run, with only one of them resembling his first four.

Mark from Richardson, TX

Good morning Mike/Wes, II: Love the most recent three guys with Three Things. I love Larry's hat. Is he auditioning for the new Indiana Jones movie?

No, but I'm open to a Harrison Ford cameo on packers.com if he's ever in town.

Graydon from Menomonie, WI

How are you planning to spend your Memorial Day weekend?

With lots of family and hopefully catching some fish. Enjoy the holiday everybody. Happy Friday.

HAVE A QUESTION?