Inbox: He has everything to gain in Green Bay

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
yin4usicido4scdcepuk

Frank from McKinney, TX

Hey Mike and Wes, I hope you are both doing well. Now that the end of the pandemic seems to be approaching, what were some of the biggest challenges you had to overcome during last season and what will you personally most look forward getting to do again this upcoming season? P.S. It's too bad Ty didn't switch positions this year. He could have just worn "8" all year and no consternation would have been had.

This sucker isn't over yet, but I'm glad life is starting to get back to normal. We got to celebrate my grandmother's 90th birthday among family on Sunday, a big improvement over last year when we were scared to even go into her house. Professionally, the biggest challenge last year was doing our job over Zoom. It's not easy to generate unique content off group interviews and it's virtually impossible to get to know the draft class personally. The best stories I wrote were based off relationships I'd already forged with players. At the same time, the pandemic did force us to reimagine our jobs and I believe that'll be a benefit to me in the long run. I look forward to one day having locker-room access again.

Dennis from Beavercreek, OH

Wes, I am planning on taking my family to the Packers-Bengals game. Can you look in that crystal ball you and Spoff share and tell me if the Packers are going to win? Yes, I went to the last game and the Packers lost. I do not want that to happen again.

The Magic Spoff ball reads: Favorable.

Ingrid from Superior, WI

Monday there was talk about interceptions/fumbles and Mike said, "Pass rushers don't get the picks DBs do." It made me think, if the pass rushers tip a pass that is eventually intercepted, do they keep stats for a tipped ball?

Yes, it counts as a deflection.

Dar from Mansfield, TX

Of the players you've watched in person, excluding quarterbacks, who are the ones you couldn't take your eyes off when a play type highlighting excellence was about to unfold? In other words, the anticipation factor. For me, it's either Reggie White on a passing down late in the game, or Deion Sanders with a punt descending and room to run ahead of him. Thrilling, both!

Two words – Tim. Tebow.

Kyle from Waunakee, WI

Skimmed an article on Mike Trout's injuries and how it could affect his career stats. At 29, I am 99% certain he would be in the HOF if he retired today. It made me look and wonder which NFL players retired before 30 but made the HOF. I didn't find the data other than a list of HOF players with fewest games: Nevers (54 games), Battles, Walker, Parker, Sayers, Pollard (69). Of the players in the NFL today, which do you think could retire before age 30 but still get in the HOF?

Aaron Donald just turned 30 but he could have retired last year and still been a Hall of Famer. It's not a huge list. DeAndre Hopkins and David Bakhtiari would be close. Quenton Nelson and Patrick Mahomes need another two years, but both already are on Hall of Fame trajectories.

Arthur from Washington, D.C.

Good morning, if a player misses team activities for which they have contract incentives to attend, where does that incentive money go? Is it added back to the salary cap? Thank you!

Workout bonuses are already factored into the cap but teams get reimbursed the following season if the player doesn't participate or meet the criteria (usually 80% participation). For example, let's say Mike Spofford doesn't report for the offseason program and forfeits his $250,000 workout bonus. The Packers would get $250,000 added to their 2022 cap.

Chad from Spokane Valley, WA

I think the Packers should trade for Gardner Minshew. What do you think?

Aaron Rodgers is "the man." Jordan Love is "the man" in waiting. If Rodgers isn't here this week, then it's Love's opportunity to get reps he missed out on last year. I don't see any need for the Packers to start currycombing the league for more QBs at this point. Plus, they already have a former Jaguars quarterback.

Brock from Albany, NY

Good morning Insiders, I was curious about how you think the league will handle the stats for a 17th game. Mainly for broken records, will they be kept in separate categories as pre and post 17-game schedule records? Or will they simply shatter and let the old records become a thing lost in time? I think there's still something to be said for the still-standing 16-game season-long records.

No. It'll be the same as when the NFL increased the regular season from 14 to 16 games in 1978. It's a 17-game league now. There will be no asterisks.