Inbox: He has the biggest opportunity

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
eqy8p21j4nrutk2vfnwc

Aaron from New York, NY

Is it just me or did Gutekunst just show that he came up under Ted Thompson? If taking Gary at 12 after signing two top edge rushers doesn't scream BAP drafting, then I don't know what does.

Matt from Boston, MA

In Gute we trust! It is clear to me that we are having an even more amazing legacy unfold before us. How amazing is Ron Wolf’s GM tree? Maybe in the conversation for most important Packer since Vince.

Less than no doubt.

Dana from Eau Claire, WI

When will the rookies be next available to the media?

At the end of this week during the rookie minicamp, but we don’t have the exact schedule yet.

Bruce from Menomonee Falls, WI

I put 11 mock drafts from "experts" in a spreadsheet and recorded the results. Of the 11, one hit on nine first-round picks, one on eight, a couple on seven, a couple on six, etc. It made me think that maybe weathermen don't deserve such a poor reputation.

I’ll put more faith in a weather report than a mock draft any day.

Brad from Spirit Lake, IA

"As for the Vikings, they got a center. They seem pretty excited about it." I read the column every day, but there are few times I actually laugh out loud. Thanks, Weston!

While I appreciate Wes’s humor as much as any reader, the Vikings’ focus in this draft made all the sense in the world. In 2016, they started 5-0, their offensive line fell apart, and they finished 8-8. They shored up the line in 2017 and went to the NFC title game. They had troubles up front again last year and missed the playoffs again at 8-7-1.

Kris from Kronenwetter, WI

Wes, that reader was me. I simply saw the talent level and production from Tyreek Hill and didn’t think about who he might be as a person. I now see how wrong I was. A learning experience for sure. What I am most thankful for is having amazing parents and family who raised me right, and it saddens me deeply knowing not everyone in this world gets that, too. I read II every single day and I wanted to reach out and say thank you both for being our voice of reason.

We do our best. Short programming announcement: Wes is going to be gone for a couple of days early this week, so you’re stuck with me through Wednesday. Then he’ll be back to finish out the week.

Eli from Yardley, PA

I know everyone's talking about an improved defense. However, with all the picks on the third day of the draft, I'm really thinking special teams will see an improvement as well. Spoff picked over on a 1.5 line of Prospect Primers. What was the final total hit?

Only one, unfortunately, Jenkins in the second round. But Mike Mayock’s first four picks as Raiders GM, and five in all, had Primers. So we’ve got that going for us, which is nice.

Tim from Lino Lakes, MN

I really enjoyed watching the press conferences. It was fascinating getting insights into what the scouts saw, the process, and the picks themselves. Through all of that, one thing really stuck with me and that was when Gutekunst said Rashan Gary "wrecked it." That not only excites me for what Gary brings to the table, but the potential this defense has. Here's to hoping "wreck it" becomes his nickname.

A cartoon character named Ralph might object.

Brian from Menominee, MI

I have zero problem with the Packers’ aggressive move to get the player they perceived as the best safety in the draft. Gutekunst mentioned he knew for a fact he wouldn't last to 30. Any idea how he'd get this information? Is it a coincidence that the Raiders sent their scouts home last week, had picks 24 and 27, and took a safety? I wonder if Gutekunst has some friends over there.

Maybe his old friend Schneider in Seattle told him when they made the trade he was going to take Savage at 29, but he just needed the extra picks more. Or other readers have pointed out Baltimore immediately traded back from 22 after the Packers took Savage, who would have been a local product from Maryland the Ravens – who just moved on from Eric Weddle at safety – presumably would have had a strong handle on. I don’t really know. But I know Gutekunst well enough to say he wouldn’t have made that statement at the podium if it weren’t true.