Inbox: Here's a key player in the improvement-from-within equation

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
hwtv7f65m0oojz6ax3y9

Dave from Adelaide, Australia

Hi II, longtime reader since the Vic days. Drew Brees had an amazing career and deserves all the plaudits he is receiving. AR12 has arguably a more impressive resume, yet his achievements seem to be overlooked in comparison. Both have been unlucky in NFCC games, and either could have arguably been to more Super Bowls. I'm interested in your take on why they seem to be viewed via a different lens.

This is a common question, and a reasonable one. I've said before I think it has mostly to do with the circumstances of the two franchises and their histories. Brees brought the Saints up from nothing, especially after Katrina. That team was in the doldrums for a long time, with one playoff win since their founding until Brees arrived. Aaron Rodgers took command of a perennial playoff contender and one of the most storied franchises in league history. Fair or unfair, those contexts have influenced perceptions.

Matthew from Teaneck, NJ

So we're at 17 games in an 18-week season. Any thoughts as to having the bye week be dead center in the season? That would be fair and consistent for all, right?

The TV networks would not have upped the ante as considerably as they did if a dark weekend were part of the deal.

Mike from Fort Wayne, IN

Mike, now that there is a 17th game, how long do you think it will be before the owners become bored and start clamoring for an 18th game? Or is 17 just about the apex?

I'm sure the owners will push for 18 games in the next CBA negotiations at the end of the decade, unless there are more pressing issues for the league to address.

Patrick from Valrico, FL

Looks like the Chiefs are trying to add more fuel to an old II fire with their rules proposal. Of all of these proposals which do you feel are the most and least likely to pass?

I vowed never to discuss jersey numbers again. I just can't do it.

Scott from New Orleans, LA

Roster turnover is a constant in the NFL, but this year we have seemed to maintain the majority of our main contributors, which leads to continued chemistry on the field and in the locker room. What is your opinion on how the Packers have approached the offseason so far?

There's plenty of value in chemistry and continuity when you've been as successful as the Packers have the past two years, but I think the salary-cap constraints for this year and next have limited Gutekunst's offseason options. I do believe we'd have witnessed more turnover under normal circumstances. We'll see what the draft at the end of the month brings, but the majority of this team's improvement will have to come from within – particularly players from the last two draft classes making significant strides.

Patrick from Murfreesboro, TN

Cornerback seems to be headlining the "needs attention" discussions, and I understand the concern. But isn't D-line perilously vulnerable after Kenny Clark? What's the outlook on the type of DL profile that would best fit a Barry defense?

I'm not sure if there's a particular profile. Another Kenny Clark would do just fine. As I've mentioned before, I'm just not sure if one will be there late in the first round. In the middle rounds it becomes even more hit-and-miss with those big guys. You can find a solid performer like Dean Lowry (fourth round, 2016), or it might not work out as hoped with a Montravius Adams (third round, 2017). In that vein, here's a key player in the improvement-from-within equation: Kingsley Keke (fifth round, 2019).

Derek from Sheboygan, WI

What are the chances the Packers take an offensive lineman or tackle with the 29th pick of the draft?

Based on what I'm gleaning about this draft, the chances appear better for an offensive lineman at the bottom of the first round than a defensive one.