Inbox: He’s just that good

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
y4zhnok8fhr4pkjd9ikf

Henry from Hoback, WY

"Defensing a pass..." I'm an English teacher and each time I read defensing in your column it's like a car crash in my ears. Yet accomplished writers like you two and Vic use it repeatedly. Why? No snark intended.

Sorry to burst your grammar bubble, but that is an actual term. A pass defensed reflects any way a defender prevents the receiver from catching the ball whether a deflection or an interception. At least, that’s how I learned about it.

Brian from Adel, IA

Would you pass along my thanks to Cliff for his article on Max McGee? I remember my grandpa telling me stories about playing with him in the Air Force, but I didn’t realize his service was in between his NFL years. You all know what Vic says about memories. Thank you!

Cliff is doing phenomenal work. His series of biographies on Packers Hall of Famers is a must-read. Generations of Packers fans will be better educated on the history of their favorite team thanks to Cliff.

Andrew from Shalimar, FL

Are the jerseys the players wear in unpadded practices made out of the same materials and sized accordingly, or are they totally different?

Jerry from Calgary, Canada

How does DeShone Kizer look? Is he progressing? We tend to overlook him because of the spotlight on Aaron. However, we should all know who we have as backup given the chance of injuries, and although we don't want to think about it, the time when Aaron hangs ’em up.

It’s hard to draw any grand conclusions on three OTA practices, but I think Kizer and Tim Boyle have looked fine so far. It’s all installations right now. The real test for those the backup QBs will come in training camp.

Craig from Appleton, WI

The Milwaukee Bucks were described as a team playing positionless basketball. Is the NFL becoming a positionless league, as well? We no longer have DE or OLB, just EDGE. Hybrid safety/LBs, TEs that flex into the fullback role, RBs that flex to WR and vice versa. The Chargers playing all DBs at LB in a playoff game.

It’s really been that way for the last four years. The lines have been blurred with running backs who are active in the passing game and defensive backs who play in the box. The idea of teams putting their best 11 players on the field has become overused, but it is true. It’s moves and counter moves. That’s all we gotta look at.

Jim from Menomonee Falls, WI

Hi II, here’s to the Pack's defense improving this year. I, for one, am hoping "Za" will be extra cheesy coming off the EDGE! Appreciate all you do, II!

Za’Darius Smith has immersed himself into the culture in a way few free-agent signings have. He’s supremely talented but also been a fun addition to the locker room this spring.

Bruce from Green Bay, WI

I wish someone could explain this. So much hype in getting one of the top 10 picks in the draft, then you look where Bart Starr was picked. How could so many teams, including the Packers, not take him sooner? Did teams have scouting personnel similar to today's teams? Do you know how long Bart was on the team before his first start?

Scouting departments are larger today, but Starr had an up-and-down career at Alabama. He had a few injuries and wasn’t really a great fit in the offense. Even when Starr got to Green Bay, he had to wait a couple years for his shot.

Phil from Gladstone, MI

Jordy Nelson is the only Packers jersey I've ever owned. I want you guys to pick my next one, so I have a good story to tell at our opening-day party!

I say keep the No. 87 love going. Jace Sternberger.

James from Little Canada, MN

We all love Tony Romo now that he is a commentator. Does he have the qualifications to make a bid for the Hall of Fame in 2022?

He has my vote.

Jason from Des Plaines, IL

Hey, so Packers minicamp is closed to the public next week. On the other hand, it’s open to the media. You guys got any extra tickets to the show?

Spoff and I will do our best to keep everyone updated.

Brett from Winchester, VA

During your few vacation days during the offseason, where do you like to go? Dream vacation?

I’m heading down to Chicago this weekend for UFC 238. I’m super-pumped for that. I’m also flying to Los Angeles in two weeks for my nephew’s fifth-grade graduation (which is a thing now, I guess). I’m excited to check out Star Wars Land with him.