Inbox: He’s positioned to have a career-defining year

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
pr4rsctuals6iufjk0hx

Lucas from Stevens Point, WI

With Teo Redding wearing No. 88 this year, are we going to see him lined up in the backfield at all? #AhhhTheDeadZone

Don’t sleep on Redding. He has some burst to his game and will have the chance to show it this summer, especially on returns and special teams.

Jim from Tucson, AZ

I think we managed to go through the entire OTA season without mentioning the backup quarterbacks. Tim Boyle or DeShone Kizer was never, or seldom, mentioned. This lack of mention of a good performance by either, and the presence of several veterans still available on the free-agent market, tells me that there is a good possibility that our backup quarterback is not currently on the team. Am I missing something?

I think the backup QB is on the roster, but it’ll be crucial for both players to take a step with the offense when the Packers reconvene. I didn’t draw many conclusions from OTAs and minicamp for that position, though, because Kizer and Boyle only took a handful of snaps. The real test comes in July and August.

Anders from Kinna, Sweden

Hey Insiders! I heard Mike Silver address something the other day. He was talking about how in Coach LaFleur’s system there’s not much along the lines of checking off at the line, and no real opportunity for audibles, something that Rodgers can do and does well (and that can’t be said about that many QBs in the NFL today). Do you think LaFleur wants to try and retain this ability? And somehow expand his system to accommodate some audibility in there? Or are A-Rod’s checks at the line of scrimmage over?

LaFleur tackled this topic earlier this offseason. Rodgers will still have the authority to make checks at the line. LaFleur just wants to hone the communication and make sure Rodgers is confident in the menu of plays in the game plan. Rodgers is one of the brightest QBs in NFL history. At the end of the day, who doesn’t want that guy getting the offense in the best possible play?

Wayne from Green Bay, WI

So much is constantly made about the receivers being on the same page with Rodgers and doing exactly what he wants. I don't remember this much talk about chemistry with Favre. From 1994-1996, he had three straight years with a different No. 1 and we won a SB with his first TD going to a guy who was only with the team for a few months. Favre turned Bill Schroeder into a 1,000-yard receiver. Can you explain?

Evolution, plain and simple. It’s a lot more difficult for a receiver to come off the street and jump into an offense like Green Bay’s than it was 23 years ago. The introduction of no-huddle offenses and run-pass options have altered the landscape for quarterbacks and skill-position players. Checks and audibles within routes are common now, depending on what the defense is showing.

Casey from Kansas City, MO

Any merit to the idea that a player can only account for X percent of the salary cap? The only position it would negatively affect would be quarterback. It would raise the value of all the other positions including the players at the bottom of the roster. Owners would still pay out the same, many players would make more money, and it would allow teams to have more "star" players.

This would never fly because you can’t put a ceiling on what a veteran can make. The NFLPA would never allow it. There also isn’t a need for this type of measure because the cap has steadily increased in $10 million increments each year. Rodgers is one of the highest-paid players in the league, but the Packers are in good standing with the cap because they were smart about it.

Caleb from Milwaukee, WI

Do you anticipate Gute using the leftover cap to get a one-year veteran deal with maybe a WR or safety?

Just because you have money in your bank account doesn’t mean you need to spend it, Caleb. That’s how you stay in good standing with the salary cap – and with your checkbook.

Marlon from Eagle River, WI

If he stays healthy, does Aaron Rodgers have the ability to pass Drew Brees in passing yardage?

Rodgers is trailing Brees by nearly 30,000 yards at the moment. With Rodgers five years Brees’ junior, the Saints quarterback would need to retire soon for it to be realistic.