Inbox: He’s putting the league on notice

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
chp4ihcr5anm2yhdcccm

Perry from Ishpeming, MI

I was on my way home to watch the game and had the pregame on the radio. Wayne nailed each aspect of the Panthers team! What great insight, from the D-line, to Allen, to McCaffrey. My biggest take from the game was the play of the Packers’ O-line! Yes, there was pressure but only two sacks! What's your take?

The offensive line is playing together and playing well. Elgton Jenkins has jumped in there and fit right in. I felt like they imposed their will against Carolina, plowing the road for the team’s 163 rushing yards. Plus, Rodgers shouldered the blame for both sacks. Overall, I thought that was a nice bounce-back game for the O-line.

Chris from Ontario, CA

Insiders, with December football just around the corner, is the vulnerability of the "D" fixable?

I just think those guys need a week to rest. The Packers run their rotations pretty tight. Nine players have played at least 70 percent of the total defensive snaps this season.

Braden from Aurora, CO

What do you think the contributors are to the lack of production from Geronimo Allison and Marquez Valdes-Scantling this season? Is this a case of nagging injuries not letting them play at 100% or something more concerning?

Marquez Valdes-Scantling has been playing through ankle and knee injuries, but I think it’s been more a product of Green Bay’s offense rotating a lot of receivers and skill-position players in. They aren’t just running the same guys on the field in the “11” personnel group 60 plays a game.

Darrell from San Antonio, TX

An honest and legit question, how does this defense get back to playing the way it did the first three games? Since then they have taken a nosedive – 28th in total defense is poor by anyone's standard. Granted our scoring defense is in the middle of the pack but we can't seem to get off the field on third down. I don't agree with Troy Aikman often but he was correct in saying our secondary has problems when the front four don't apply any pressure. How does this get fixed moving forward?

So Aikman was saying the secondary has issues when the pressure doesn’t get home? Dynamite drop-in, Monty. Christian McCaffrey got his yards but that was expected. The real story is how the Packers kept McCaffrey without a game-changing, explosive gain. Undoubtedly, there are improvements the defense must make but the Packers made it to the bye. A week off will do that unit a lot of good.

Rob from Muskego, WI

I noticed on Tramon Williams’ interception as soon as the ball hit his hands, he was rolling himself onto his back. I assume it was a conscious effort to take away any chance of it hitting the ground? Is this something that is coached or just something that he (and I think a few other CBs) do themselves?

Experience. You can coach it, but that’s a veteran leaning back on more than 200 NFL games over the past 13 years.

Bryan from Omaha, NE

I don't understand the call reversal on Jimmy Graham's touchdown. Yes, his right foot did not touch down inbounds before possession, but his right knee touched the pylon before he was out of bounds. I thought the pylon was considered part of the field of play which should have made the touchdown stand.

That was my understanding of the rule but I guess not.

Isaac from Columbia, TN

Maybe because it happened right before halftime, but much of the TV commentary seemed to focus on the (non) roughing-the-passer call on McCoy in the end zone. I might be biased, but the two (non) OPI calls on Allen Lazard and Davante Adams seemed more egregious and just as costly to me.

Bad call, but bad calls happen. You have to rise above, which the Packers did. My biggest gripe about the Lazard OPI is how dangerous that sequence is for the landscape of the NFL in 2019. The side judge was too far downfield to be the one making that call and only saw the defensive back flailing to the ground. At no point did he see physical contact – he was reacting to the player. That’s where review should mitigate the blown call, but the league office won’t have it.

Bob from Cadillac Ranch, Zimbabwe

When the Packers’ defense was called for offside with around 10 seconds remaining, giving the Panthers another shot with a first down, the replay clearly showed the ostensible offender’s feet never moved. He did lurch forward momentarily, but kept his balance and held his ground. Shouldn’t there be a provision in the rules forcing a review of such game-altering calls made with less than two minutes remaining? Of course, the officials also missed the hold that allowed Aaron Jones’ touchdown...

Sure, but refs need to get pre-snap penalties right. Plain and simple. Preston Smith obviously felt a certain way about the call. It is what it is.