Inbox: He’s right there

Cheesehead

Mar 19, 2019
h0e7hlflzm3g0js7avvm

Perry from Ishpeming, MI

I just read that Savage signed his contract, so what is the policy on passing a physical? Same deal with UDFA invites to the camp, do they have to pass a physical before participating? What about players under contract? Just curious. And thanks for the great reading!

Most rookies will sign their contracts after passing their physicals. Since Elgton Jenkins and Jace Sternberger haven’t signed yet, they’ll sign “good faith” waivers to participate in the rookie camp and offseason program, which require teams to honor contracts in the event of an injury.

Dana from Eau Claire, WI

Feels like a lot of pressure is being put on Savage to be our safety savior right out of the gate – what do you see as other options for that roaming safety spot?

Savage won’t be handed the position. Josh Jones and Raven Greene will have something to say about that. The Packers need options, though, especially with how safeties are now being asked to play more in sub-packages.

Karl from Green Bay, WI

I think Gina was asking if anyone was going to be throwing the football during rookie orientation, given that Boyle is not eligible to attend. Were you suggesting that Cole and Kendall might be changing positions to QB?

I was trying to explain who can participate and who can’t. Wilkins is throwing this weekend at rookie camp. When there’s only one QB on the roster participating, the Packers will bring in an extra QB or two on tryout, as well.

Jordan from Sturgeon Bay, WI

Call me crazy if y’all want to, but I think the Packers knew exactly what they were doing when they gave No. 87 and 52 away.

There’s nothing devious going on. Do the math. There are 88 players on the offseason roster and only 99 numbers. Six are retired. Plus, Jordy Nelson has been off the roster for a year already. As difficult as it is, eventually you have to move forward.

Christopher from Savage, MN

You guys go a great job of shouting out the behind-the-scenes people and unsung heroes of the Packers organization in this forum! When you see these guys being mentioned in II, do you ever send a note over to them or their boss? I'm sure they'd love to know their work is appreciated/noticed by fans and it wouldn't hurt the year-end performance review, either!

Oh, I’m very vocal. When Evan Siegle and I were in the interview process with the Packers three years ago, I kept telling everyone, “If you only hire one Press-Gazetter, make sure it’s E.” He’s that good. My face is splashed on a lot of our content, but there are so many talented folks behind the scenes that truly make our website the best in the NFL. They deserve 10 times the shout-outs they get.

Thomas from Grand Rapids, MI

Two-part question, one for my fellow insiders and one for Mike and Wes. Does anyone else purposely not look at who’s answering the questions that day and try to figure it out based on their responses? Sometimes I'll get it figured out on the very first question, other times it takes me a little. Fun to determine the writer based on the personality in the responses. Mike and Wes, how do you see each other’s styles differentiate from one another and what's something you like about the other’s style?

Spoff is knowledgeable and gets to the point faster than I do. He doesn’t require as many words to set up one-liners. That’s a skill.

Dan from Allen, TX

Want to push back just a little on Rocco from Green Bay and his "grading" of Wes. I think your May 3 responses are your best collection ever. You need to take time away on assignment more often!

Henry from Hoback, WY

That cherry-picking response made me spit out my coffee I was laughing so hard! "The ninth one," too. Wes was on fire yesterday. A-plus.

So does that mean I pass?

Jack from Wauwatosa, WI

Wes, your last question yesterday indicates you were born in 1987....holy cow; I have T-shirts older that you! BTW, great job both of you!

I’m going to enjoy it while it lasts because the sand seems to be dispensing faster every year. Our new web intern, Ana, was born in 1997. I’m going to go feel bad about myself now.

HAVE A QUESTION?